Sign in to follow this  
Wilfrid1

New York Wine Bars

TONY listed a few I haven't tried. Comments solicited:

Wined Up. Newly opened over Punch restaurant on Broadway (21st). 300 bottle list, 35 by the glass.

Bin #220, 220 Front St at Beekman.

And a couple on the UES: Cavatoppo (90th and 2nd); Pudding Stones (82nd and 3rd); like the name.

There's a list of beer bars in TONY too, but only one new to me:

Stout NYC, 33rd and 6th. Specializes in lager (nah, Wilfrid, pull the other one), okay stout.

Guest Aaron T

Stout is near MSG and is somewhat Irish and very large. You could have a party for 100 and not take over the place. Nicely set up. Good bet in that nabe.

We did.

A page of wines by the glass; hundreds by the bottle. Those I recognized were not unreasonably marked up. A staircase next door to Punch leads to this upstairs space - long, slightly awkwardly shaped, but refreshingly well lit. Bright and cheerful rather than dank and candley: well done.

There is a list of small plates, which for once seemed to be just that, rather than reduced entrees. Tiny crab cakes came on plastic sticks - they were more potatoey than truffley, as claimed, but they were inexpensive. We drank Pol Roger, not noticeably a bargain at $15, but served in very large flutes.

About those flutes: purists and slow-drinkers will be appalled to learn that all wine-glasses, including champagne flutes, are stemless. They may be puzzled to learn that beer-glasses are not.

Useful in this neighborhood. No liquor.

Either I didn't notice or I soon forgot that Vintage, the SoHo store selling New York state wines and other produce, has opened a wine bar a few doors uptown. I assume the downside is that it pours only local wine. Anyone visited?

I saw the Italian wine bar thread, but can't see why the search engine didn't find the other one. Anyway...