Sign in to follow this  
Wilfrid1

New York Wine Bars

So did you show them the insta pics?

I would have if I'd been alone. Maybe. Probably not. I dislike confrontation. Online, I'm more willing to let my pique flag fly.

Ruffian is a really solid option in the EV.

Replaced the Big Gay ice cream place? Good tip.

It replaced what was once the Butter Lane classroom space. It's next to Big Gay.

Looks like there is going to be a new wine bar at the corner of Division and Pike Streets.

The Asian Americans for Equality (AAFE) advocacy group chose a wine bar tenant to occupy the new storefront carved out of their “Housing and Community Services” building at 1 Pike Street (aka 111 Division). The community organization downsized its footprint in the ground level last year, and instead decided to convert the new space to a “wet” use. (Lost office space was relocated across the street to 2 Allen.) Plywood shed was removed several months ago, and awaited its inevitable occupancy.

The proposed wine bar is by Hui Quan, who apparently owns a computer business in the vicinity. It’ll boast thirty seats and double as a cafe during daytime hours. Scope out the inside, as the room is really starting to take shape.

Checked it out last night. Some interesting wines available, to be sure. Great host.

Not cheap...I think the least expensive btg option was $13. Wines btg change every 10 days or so.

The inflation in prices at good wine bars is pretty stark. I think VdT's prices wouldn't have even stood out a few years ago – now they're conspicuously cheap. Are there any other good deal spots in that vein?

Checked it out last night. Some interesting wines available, to be sure. Great host.

Not cheap...I think the least expensive btg option was $13. Wines btg change every 10 days or so.

Good, unique wine list, if not cheap. Outsider food.

A natural wine bar opened near us a few months ago. We've been once, were not wowed. You all can check their current list and tell me if I should be or not. FWIW, the pao de queijo (the only thing we ate) wasn't very good.

• Like 1

When the cheapest BTG hits $15, you might as well buy a bottle even if you don't want to drink it all. (Might happen.)

What's "outsider food"?

Like outsider art.

Lamb ribs topped with granola and yogurt.

That sort of thing.

Passeggiata-ing the east village last evening, we restopped into Ruffian and enjoyed a couple of glasses, then walked back to a place we had previously passed, called Bibi, where we had another glass and a quick snack.

Very friendly, and I was informed they make a good chicken pot pie by the bartender; this was after I mentioned the demise of a place we kinda liked, Nobody is Perfect, for their rotisserie chicken with fries and a salad, at under $40. Evidently, said bartender had previously worked there. 

I don't know that I can spend more time at Ruffian than it takes to quaff a glass of wine; it's so cramped it makes me a little (more) neurotic (than I already am).