how come we don't have one already?

I'm inspired by the roasted red pepper I'm eating right now at my desk, marinated overnight in EVOO, red chilli and garlic, the strips rolled with anchovy and capers; with a roll that I've had my boss nick from the members' self-service dining facility. Also decent apricots and figs from the greengrocer by the station, and capocollo sliced at home this morning. About as good as it gets really.

Lunch is always a problem for me at work. I won't go near the hellhole of the staff dining room; my boss is allowed in the client self-service facilities but not I, although he regularly invites me and I refuse most of the time (partly so as not to get him in trouble, partly because the food's no good there, partly because I don't particularly want to lunch with him); it's bloody miles off-site to local eateries of any kind although I have a periodic GBK jaunt; so I only really do well if organised in my preparation of lunches to bring from home which doesn't happen too often.

v

• Like 8
  • Replies 860
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

how come we don't have one already?   I'm inspired by the roasted red pepper I'm eating right now at my desk, marinated overnight in EVOO, red chilli and garlic, the strips rolled with anchovy and c

Wow. This is a way better lunch thread. I enjoyed reading all of it. I'll add my pedestrian goodies when I eat them.

A cold rabbit leg at my desk   v

Posted Images

Taking lunch to work is a bit of drag for me. I am rarely in the mood to fix something in the morning, and most things are not that good if prepared the night before.

Most of the lunch places here cater to downtown workers, so its a lot of mediocre stuff. Plus, its impossible to walk somewhere and just have a nice quiet lunch without seeing a colleague who inevitably wants to talk your ear off about some case that is of little or no interest.

The only oasis is to get in the car and make the drive to a tacqueria or the Vietnam Kitchen.

Yesterday chez famille clb: bread, butter, 3 cheeses from these isles: Coolea, Durrus and Dorstone, baby Cos salad, baby plum tomato salad, Gospel Green cider (despite it's reputation as about the best cider on the market, I prefer those with less bubbles and more flavour). Then my contribution of tropical fruit salad with a boozy sabayon. Recipe to follow, although clb may never speak to me again when she see's what's in it. Coffee later on in the garden with Marcolini chocolates that have gone so downhill in quality it makes me want to cry.

(courtesy of Joey Altman, whoever he is, via The Open Hand Celebration Cookbook - the 2nd volume of an SF Aids charity cookbook)

5 egg yolks

1/4 cup champagne (prosecco in my case)

1/2 cup rum (Morgan's in my case)

1/2 cup sugar

1/4 cup Coco Lopez

1 cup heavy cream whipped with 2tbs sugar

Beat all ingredients except cream in a bowl over simmering water until it thickens (and, like me, you lose patience).

When cool fold in the lightly whipped cream.

v

Isn't it funny that I thought there should be a thread like this while Lippy and I were eating lunch yesterday. We went down the street to the small Saturday farmers market we have here on the island and brought back basil and fresh mozzarella that Lippy put on a defrosted Berkshire Mountain poppy seed loaf with an heirloom tomato she had picked up at Union Square earlier in the week. Yummy.

As part of the commitment to the new lifestyle, i sweared not to enter the company cafeteria ever again, and cooked the lunch yesterday night.

Ziti with cavolo nero pesto (around some River Cafe Cookbook Blue recipe) with fagioli al fiasco leftovers.