• Replies 859
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

how come we don't have one already?   I'm inspired by the roasted red pepper I'm eating right now at my desk, marinated overnight in EVOO, red chilli and garlic, the strips rolled with anchovy and c

Wow. This is a way better lunch thread. I enjoyed reading all of it. I'll add my pedestrian goodies when I eat them.

A cold rabbit leg at my desk   v

Posted Images

Chocolate marzipan sticks made at the weekend distributed among those colleagues who can countenance marzipan (bought fondant and marzipan kneaded with melted chocolate).

Poblano/red pepper creamy rajas with potato (leftover from weekend tacos) - I'd noticed the heat previously and attributed it to the jalapeno in the salsa with the tacos. Turns out these are the hottest poblanos I've ever tasted.

Claret jelly from Lady Jekyll's Kitchen Essays. A lovely book from that brief renaissance of upper class good food in 1920's Britain. Sadly not good at all - for the bin. Not sure what went wrong there.

v

Asian boiled fresh peanuts - i picked this recipe a year ago from sfgate food section.

It calls to simmer fresh peanuts with soy sauce, anise star, palm sugar and gree tea: last time i used chinese greenpowder (beautiful large leaves) and it was my best attempt so far. Very addictive.

I can't stop eating Ronnybrook coconut yogurt. The yogurt itself is quite tart (a very good thing) the coconut tastes fresh (not sure if it is) and there is some coconut-tasting syrup mixed in. I like this better than most desserts. I've been having this with some of this Fall's best apples for lunch. Of course I also have another "meal" around 3:00 but whateva.

Over the weekend I made a giant batch of Asian chicken stock. Hacked up three goodly sized chickens and cooked them up with roasted shallots, garlic and chilies, and fish sauce, cinnamon stick, star anise, szetchuan peppercorns, ginger, lemongrass and lime leaf.

Lunch for the forseeable future will be a steaming mug or bowl of said chicken broth with any or all of the following added: shredded poached chicken, diced tofu, fresh lime juice, chopped cilantro, Sriracha. I might even add some coconut milk. I'd share with the family, but it's too spicy for the kids & I'll be damned if I'm going to cook two dinners, which means Hub gets none. So it's mine, all mine.

This was brunch, I guess...

Some guy walked into Montrachet a few weeks ago and opened a briefcase filled with rounds of clearly illegal raw milk Vacherin Mont d'Or. My pal the sommelier bought one, stashed it in the walk-in, and forgot about it until this weekend, when he and his girlfriend ate half of it. Girlfriend, my office mate, brought the rest in this morning and we demolished it with a nice crusty baguette. Oozy, stinky, absolutely glorious.

We spent the rest of the day apologizing to everyone who came into the office because the place smelled like an overripe locker room. :D God I want more.

Guest Adam Lawrence

To help me lose a bit of weight I've been making soup and bringing a pot into the office for lunch. Celeriac and blue cheese last week (only a bit of cheese, to fit in with the dietary requirement); pea and ham this. It did get a little dull by Thursday though.

Gozeme (Turkish handmade soft flatbread) stuffed with spinach and feta. It was pretty damn good. I got it at what is basically a deli/lunch place that seems to be a notch up from the usual. It was grilled to order on a special grill thats shaped like an inverted wok. There are many choices of filling, veg, cheese, chicken, I think, others I don't remember. Very tasty and a little spicy.

This place is on 40th near 5th. Its called Zaytina (???) or something close to that.