• Replies 875
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

how come we don't have one already?   I'm inspired by the roasted red pepper I'm eating right now at my desk, marinated overnight in EVOO, red chilli and garlic, the strips rolled with anchovy and c

Wow. This is a way better lunch thread. I enjoyed reading all of it. I'll add my pedestrian goodies when I eat them.

Posted Images

Lebanese style green beans smothered in olive oil & tomato, fried halloumi and some pita bread. And tea. Comfort food...

Is that the long braised recipe with masses of oil? I'm not sure I'd add halloumi, isn't it rich enough as is, and I'd go for a more solid lump of bread than pita. But, if I've got the recipe right, the unctuousness of the beans is something really special.

Lebanese style green beans smothered in olive oil & tomato, fried halloumi and some pita bread. And tea. Comfort food...

Is that the long braised recipe with masses of oil? I'm not sure I'd add halloumi, isn't it rich enough as is, and I'd go for a more solid lump of bread than pita. But, if I've got the recipe right, the unctuousness of the beans is something really special.

The halloumi was a side dish. As for the pita (preferably the wrinkly mountain kind), I really can't imagine eating them with any other type of bread. You need the leverage so you can smush the beans onto the plate before stuffing them into your mouth. :)

The halloumi was a side dish. As for the pita (preferably the wrinkly mountain kind), I really can't imagine eating them with any other type of bread. You need the leverage so you can smush the beans onto the plate before stuffing them into your mouth. :)

I'd be looking at something like this bread.jpg recipe here http://images.google.co.uk/imgres?imgurl=h...l%3Den%26sa%3DN

Nope. see, the whole point of this food is to not use any silverware.
It may be sliced in the photo but tearing chunks out of it is much more satisfying. And how did you serve the halloumi if it wasn't sliced? Ok, I know it can be picked up in a chunk and gnawed on but so could the bread.

By the way, did you griddle the Halloumi?

It may be sliced in the photo but tearing chunks out of it is much more satisfying.

possibly, if one is not Lebanese.

And how did you serve the halloumi if it wasn't sliced? Ok, I know it can be picked up in a chunk and gnawed on but so could the bread.

the halloumi was sliced and fried (or griddled, I suppose) in a pan with a scant amount of oil, until it got brown. To eat it, you pick it up with the bread. This is not something we ever ate in Lebanon but it was a good enough substitute for a Lebanese-style toasted cheese sandwich, which is what I was craving.

It may be sliced in the photo but tearing chunks out of it is much more satisfying.

possibly, if one is not Lebanese.

And how did you serve the halloumi if it wasn't sliced? Ok, I know it can be picked up in a chunk and gnawed on but so could the bread.

the halloumi was sliced and fried (or griddled, I suppose) in a pan with a scant amount of oil, until it got brown. To eat it, you pick it up with the bread. This is not something we ever ate in Lebanon but it was a good enough substitute for a Lebanese-style toasted cheese sandwich, which is what I was craving.

Ah, I understand, I haven't been to the Lebanon but a friend used to take me to a Lebanese cafe in London (over 30 years ago) where I, as a callow youth brought up in an atmosphere of cutlery rather than fingers as eating implements, was somewhat non-plussed to see the way the locals used their hands to eat, although I don't recall seeing pitta bread used, more the type of loaf I posted earlier, but that might well have been a matter of what was available.

Regarding the Halloumi, I prefer it dry griddled in the kind of circumstances you describe, the way the surface not only toasts, but blisters slightly works better for me, and my griddle gets enough use so's not to stick, it's not as if there isn't enough oil with the beans.

mushroom risotto

inspired by redhead?

i made a rice and cluck dish insp. by the risoto vs. quackconfit -- butt that wd bre dinner not luch

definitely inspired by redhead. i had some fresh shitakis that needed to be used and some dried porcini on hand.