My turn for a question: an immersion blender is about the only piece of kitchen gear I don't have and contemplate acquiring. What is yours, does it bring you happiness etc etc?

v

It's a bog standard Braun, I think: one of the ones with no fancy attachments and just an on/off button. About £14 in John Lewis a few years ago.

I love it: it blends well and it's easy to get soups to just the right consistency (I make a lot of thick, beany soups); you don't have all that faff trying to scrape the last drops out of the blender jug; and the whizzer bit goes in the dishwasher.

On the other hand, my blender is just an attachment on my rubbishy food processor. If I had, eg, a Waring, I might be less interested in an immersion blender.

clb

• Replies 871
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

how come we don't have one already?   I'm inspired by the roasted red pepper I'm eating right now at my desk, marinated overnight in EVOO, red chilli and garlic, the strips rolled with anchovy and c

Wow. This is a way better lunch thread. I enjoyed reading all of it. I'll add my pedestrian goodies when I eat them.

Posted Images

My turn for a question: an immersion blender is about the only piece of kitchen gear I don't have and contemplate acquiring. What is yours, does it bring you happiness etc etc?

v

Braun too for us. We don't use it very often but when we do it works well. Ours also came with a miniature food processor (powered by the blender) which comes in handy for finely chopping small quantities of stuff.

I have a Waring and it does an excellent job on relatively small quantities of soup to be pureed. From time to time I consider getting a stick blender to avoid the sometimes messy task of pouring the hot soup from the pot to the blender jar. I've heard good things about Bamix. The Williams-Sonoma stick is made by them, although it carries the W-S name. The device is heavier than I imagined it would be.

I like those fucking huge jackhammer immersion blenders you see them stuffing into pots on the stovetop at restaurants. They look like they could puree gravel. Flay whipped his big orange one out during the last Iron Chef America. It was impressively massive.

One of these?

J443.JPG

Banana, clementine, 2 lychees, onduladas.

v

Ruffly crisps?

On a fruity note, I see the blood oranges are in at Solstice. :lol:

clb

Crinkle cuts, yes. Spanish crisps are an addictive problem for me. It was some comfort to see HFW admitting to a crisp addiction recently in an OFM.

Blood oranges already at the back of my mind for the next order. There's a Gordon Ramsay blood orange mousse that I'm always meaning to make and never get around to.

v

Chunks of raw carrot. Puree of borlotti beans (cooked with garlic and rosemary) with a bit of raw garlic, EVOO, lemon juice and a lot of parsley - ate this with Belgian endive leaves. Raw fennel and clementine salad.

Yoghurt with fig and rum jam.

A few pecans.

clb