• Replies 873
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

how come we don't have one already?   I'm inspired by the roasted red pepper I'm eating right now at my desk, marinated overnight in EVOO, red chilli and garlic, the strips rolled with anchovy and c

Wow. This is a way better lunch thread. I enjoyed reading all of it. I'll add my pedestrian goodies when I eat them.

Posted Images

Lunches looking civilised again this week. Today: Quaglino's salad made lunchbox friendly - avocado and gem lettuce with a runny Parmesan mayonaise and pecorino shavings; orange cake; clementine and red grapes.

v

So what kind of orange cake is this?

Here: half a Ginger Pig sausage roll plus vast amount of buttered cabbage. Comice pear. Banana. Piece of Waterloo (this cheese has inadequate flavour). All, save the last, shared with child.

C

What kind of orange cake - I don't really know. It came from an old Australian Vogue and involved all the ingredients (butter, eggs, sugar, grated orange peel, SR flour that I can remember) just being beaten together and then baked. Quantities were kind of cock-a-hoop - far too little cake mixture so the icing had to be halved and I had to pull out a quite different tin than specified. It baked with that rather elegant split on top - that you get with pound cakes? Butter icing made with orange juice was also supposed to contain grated peel, but I'd accidentally added the extra into the cake mixture. As there was also meant to be a separate garnish of more grated peel cooked in syrup, I added this to the icing instead.

Waterloo - is that an overall comment or specific to that specimen of Waterloo.

v

Well, I think I must limit it to this specimen since I can remember nothing about other specimens I know I've eaten. Certainly it's ripe enough, the texture is pleasurable, but there's nothing much else there.

C

a weekend staple lunch for us (too lazy to make during week) is: one can of cannellini beans, a jar of decent tuna, lots of parsley, red onion and celery, drizzled with sherry viengar, lemon juice and EVOO.

Leftover radicchio risotto :( . A pear. A piece of Pierre Marcolini Madagascar chocolate.

clb

Damn - forgot to say, thank you for reminding me of that tuna and beans combo, ample. We'll be having that for lunch again, soon.

That was a staple for me as a student - tuna and bean salads, except I always used dried beans :(

Lunch - far too much orange cake, fortunately none left now after giving the rest away. Clementine. Grapes. Rest of yesterday's salad.

v

Little silver herrings in oatmeal, fried in bacon fat. Charlotte potatoes, purple sprouting broccoli, German leeks (braised in butter and then in white wine).

Poached rhubarb in orange zest and orange juice and the final dregs of the passion fruit cream from a couple of nights ago.

clb

People often have funny illusions about what the kitchen staff in a good restaurant eats for lunch;I'll never forget my first 'family' meal,while interning at Chanterelle years ago-industrial frozen chicken wings,deep fried+ salad.And it has been endless variations on chicken ,salad and rice ever since,often consumed while sitting on an upside down pail.Which makes Monday,my day-off lunch Out,a looked forward to weekly treat;just sitting at a table is fun,for starters..

I worked there for a few months,and never had any meals from that book....perhaps the dinner crew was luckier.Best staff meal at any rest. that I worked at was Follonico[no longer in business].They had a wood fired oven,a morning chef who liked to cook good family meals,and once a week,pizza...for the record,the best pizza that I've ever had had in N.Y.