In no-doubt an abundance of caution, the manual for this here oven states (and my guess is that it says similar for other ovens):

Do not place cookware on oven floor or use aluminum foil or other material to line the oven floor or side walls. Failure to adhere to this notice will damage the porcelain and will void your warranty.

Cookware that is placed on the bottom of the oven, such as a cookie sheet, will melt to the oven floor and cause permanent damage.

Any material or object that falls to the floor will cause damage if left there. This includes lids, pie weights, utensils, etc.

So why do it, especially when a baking steel in the oven mimics an oven floor?

As far as pouring water directly onto the oven floor - just be careful...and make sure it hits no glass. If I recall, you have problems with your oven, but probably not due to pouring water onto the oven floor, or cooking directly on it.

Hacks are good; except when they're not.

• Replies 897
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

how come we don't have one already?   I'm inspired by the roasted red pepper I'm eating right now at my desk, marinated overnight in EVOO, red chilli and garlic, the strips rolled with anchovy and c

Wow. This is a way better lunch thread. I enjoyed reading all of it. I'll add my pedestrian goodies when I eat them.

Posted Images

We believe the issue with the oven is two-fold: there's something wonky with the thermostat (a class action has been filed regarding it) and the touch pad. I've managed to make do the past few months although we can still replace it.

Actually, it was the repair guy who suggested the water in the bottom. Of course, he suggested pouring it in before running the self-clean feature but I figured why not?

I've always felt that water (and steam) are not that good for these type (oven) of electronics, especially at high heats. 

Probably why the oven we got has none.

No don't go defeating the self-clean option to make pizza, as many hackers have done.  That will truly void whatever warranty there might be.

We had a $50 Uber Eats credit, so I ordered from E-Noodle. Noodle soup with shrimp wonton/shrimp dumpling/preserved egg wonton, and curried fried tofu. All very good, and more than twice what I can eat at a time, so I've got lunch or dinner for tomorrow, too.

• 4 weeks later...

Lentil soup with vegetables, speck and pasta. Parmesan on top. 

The mini's complained bitterly before trying, but then had two helpings each. 🙄

Observation: it is easier to get kids to eat vegetables when they are in Italian food form. Chinese sometimes works as well. 

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Behemoth said:

Observation: it is easier to get kids to eat vegetables when they are in Italian food form. Chinese sometimes works as well. 

Especially when you include a pork product.

1 hour ago, voyager said:

Lentil soup was our son’s favorite.   I used to tell him, “If you like lentils, you’ll never be poor.”

When did he (if he has) stop rolling his eyes?

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/8/2021 at 5:22 PM, Behemoth said:

Made this again yesterday. No complaints this time. 😎