Sunday lunch: crostini, some with charred cherry tomatoes and balsamic vinegar, some with Kensington Place Fish Shop's smoked mackerel pate (they bring out plates of crostini with this stuff on on Saturday mornings and I am unable to resist).

Zuni roast chicken with a lot of tarragon under the skin and bread salad.

A weak version of Pierre Herme's tarte grenobloise which was nevertheless utterly wonderful. :(

clb

• Replies 871
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

how come we don't have one already?   I'm inspired by the roasted red pepper I'm eating right now at my desk, marinated overnight in EVOO, red chilli and garlic, the strips rolled with anchovy and c

Wow. This is a way better lunch thread. I enjoyed reading all of it. I'll add my pedestrian goodies when I eat them.

Posted Images

And all so inexpensive too. Actually, after being introduced to the bakers, butchers, greengrocers and deli I am knackered so I tink that I shall have a nap for a few hours. Just because I can. :blush:

I'd wangled a smart lunch at work weeks ago for today, then fingers crossed all week that my tummy would be up to it. The meal did disagree with me somewhat, partly because I didn't make the best choices, but it also disappointed rather strongly. My companions' food appeared generally better.

My selections were dictated by a temporary aversion to seafood so I had a fonduta with black truffles - my first acquaintance with them in substantial form, followed by roast Pyrennean lamb with artichokes, aubergine and sauteed potatoes.

The fonduta had a good portion of thinly sliced truffles on top but they didn't seem to have much flavour and had that slightly repellent crispy texture that I noted in the white truffle I bought myself last year. I'm not too sure of the authenticity of the fonduta either - I'm sure I've made it in the past but too long ago to have a clear recollection of how it should be. Certainly there was little flavour relation to the proper fontina I happen to have in the fridge at the moment and a slightly grainy texture that seemed inappropriate. However not an actively bad dish overall, served with toasted bread.

Then the lamb - a slice of roast rolled shoulder I guess, a little more done than necessary but very good, young meat that wasn't ruined. What ruined the dish was the vile over-reduced syrupy reduction poured around. Why, oh why do chefs do this? It makes me barely able to look our chef, whom I am very fond of, in the eye. I have to confess that artichokes simply aren't my favourite vegetable. This was a young whole one. The thin slice of aubergine was ineffectively grilled - a common problem. Potatoes OK. A disappointing dish overall. And the expresso was bad - improperly cleaned machine would be my guess.

My 2 companions stuck to produce of the sea and fared rather better. One to my left had a special of Florida soft shell crab that looked splendid, followed by a less interesting looking salmon kulebiaka. To my right a portion of smoked eel in oatmeal crust with bacon & horseradish followed by grilled scallops & monkfish with sprout tops (I realised I had these with my lamb as well - not my thing at all, especially when drizzled with burnt syrup) and smoked jalapeno.

Ah well :blush: Most frustrating when I know how delicious that guy can cook when he puts his mind to it.

v

Yesterday: St John B&W :blush: . Arrived just as the first wave of lunch dishes were finishing, alas, but settled happily for some pale pink smoked eel with a good quantity of horseradish, one of their excellent minty green salads and a steamed rhubarb and caramel pudding.

Today: onion frittata with a tiny bit of balsamic vinegar on top and a few roasted cherry tomatoes with thyme. A square of Pierre Marcolini's Pure Origine Madagascar plain chocolate.

clb

Yesterday: St John B&W :blush: .  Arrived just as the first wave of lunch dishes were finishing, alas, but settled happily for some pale pink smoked eel with a good quantity of horseradish, one of their excellent minty green salads and a steamed rhubarb and caramel pudding.

Sounds lovely.

So does this mean B&W is still delivering while the original is failing? I haven't been for quite a while.

Yesterday: St John B&W :blush: .  Arrived just as the first wave of lunch dishes were finishing, alas, but settled happily for some pale pink smoked eel with a good quantity of horseradish, one of their excellent minty green salads and a steamed rhubarb and caramel pudding.

Sounds lovely.

So does this mean B&W is still delivering while the original is failing? I haven't been for quite a while.

i had dinner there last week...will report on appropriate thread...

Lunch over the weekend with my inlaws.

romaine and beet green salad with cumin seared scallops in a sesame oil and lime dressing.

Roasted teriyaki chicken breasts on whole wheat baps with lemon mayo, tomato, and basil.

And Black and Green dark chocolate and vanilla ice cream with berries for dessert. Their vanilla is really nice.

• 3 weeks later...

Prompted by jealousy of Carl's lunch option.....

My workplace does provide staff lunches however this is school food - budget not quite 37p a head, but I wouldn't be surprised if it isn't over £1. I went there on my first day in the job over 3 years ago and never again. Just the smell kills me.

Or there's the option of traipsing out into the real world, where there is nothing within 15 minutes other than 2 greasy spoons (acceptable by greasy spoon standards).

Or there's things like GBK, Wagamama and supermarkets etc over the river - impossible to return in less than one hour.

Or the commonest option: I bring in from home and sometimes bully my boss into stealing me a bread roll from the non-staff dining facility.

Today it's a piece of rabbit from the old paella, the rest of the Explorateur from the big blow-out, stolen roll, butter I keep in the fridge here, and the last of a Dorstone. I'm out of fruit :rolleyes:

v

The St. John turnip bake. Thin slices of delicately baked turnip with sweated, just-the-right-side-of caramelised onions, a halved boiled egg with real mayo, couple of spring onions for crunch & kick. Seasoned with a bit of black pepper and some sprinkled celery leaves. Washed down with a can of D&G ginger beer.

Delivered to the office for £3.50. Nice.

The St. John turnip bake. Thin slices of delicately baked turnip with sweated, just-the-right-side-of caramelised onions, a halved boiled egg with real mayo, couple of spring onions for crunch & kick. Seasoned with a bit of black pepper and some sprinkled celery leaves. Washed down with a can of D&G ginger beer.

Delivered to the office for £3.50. Nice.

Mmm, I was wondering how that would be after reading the menu you posted yesterday. :rolleyes:

Here it was a matzo with a bit of a French goats' cheese (decorated with an oak leaf; don't remember its name), some Emmenthal and some Flower Marie. Then a flapjack (UK stylee).

clb