• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

how come we don't have one already?   I'm inspired by the roasted red pepper I'm eating right now at my desk, marinated overnight in EVOO, red chilli and garlic, the strips rolled with anchovy and c

Wow. This is a way better lunch thread. I enjoyed reading all of it. I'll add my pedestrian goodies when I eat them.

I'm really nice to Significant Eater on some days at lunch... . Chittara with clams, cherry tomatoes, Calabria peppers, scallions and parsley.

Posted Images

It’s been a long time since I’ve bought a skirt steak. It’s from Wegmans where I always bought them previously. They’re in the self-serve meat section. They cut and package them, so there are different weights. This one is 3/4 lb. Cooked on our outdoor bbq. Corn is from C & J Farms near our house. Started with salad of red leaf lettuce, Maine hot house cocktail tomatoes, goat cheese, my own pickled red onions, and vinaigrette.

FE7B9660-9421-46E9-AAB3-65C15D9385E8.jpeg

3E552241-0DF4-42E0-861C-4F3593C1AEC2.jpeg

864BE3DD-466F-45A8-ACE9-A5774FDF9333.jpeg

FDD01AE7-79C6-437A-AFA4-A78F6FE3FD1C.jpeg

• Like 1

Drama today.

I am on my way home from the Bronx where I had seen the amazingly good Jamel Shabazz retrospective, and when I get off the subway at 145th Street I notice the sky is black. I duck into Foodtown for some essentials, a jar of queso and a can of Stella.

I step outside and it’s even blacker. But I haven’t had lunch and the One Stop Patty Shop the other side of 145th is calling me. So I go buy a patty.

This time when I step outside, all hell breaks loose, as Mr Bannon would say. Thunder, massive rain drops, water sweeping down the streets.

I shelter and make sure to tie the handles of my (cloth) shopping bag together to protect my patty. The queso and beer will be fine.

The rain eases so I set off. I am less than five minutes from home. Then it roars in harder. I don’t care about getting wet, but I actually can’t see. My glasses are in my pocket and the rain is burning my eyes. I shelter again.

Repeat the same, and I am sheltering around the corner from my apartment. I give up and head home with my eyes closed, wading ankle deep.

When I get indoors there is only one thing I care about. If not for heading to the patty shop, I would have beaten the storm. Had the patty turned into cold soup?

I dug it out. It’s brown paper bag had turned to mush. The napkin was half soggy. The patty was wrapped in wax paper; I peeled it off.

The patty was dry, crisp and still warm. That’s what I had for lunch. With a squirt of ketchup.

Is this good enough for The New Yorker?

• Like 1

Poached eggs with smoked salmon at Dudley's on Orchard. Mysteriously, one of the eggs was perfectly cooked, while the other one was pretty much hard-boiled. Dudley's is not terrible if you have to find a place to eat with your friend who is ridiculously picky and demanding, because the waitstaff is apparently high and thus very easy-going. If not super-efficient.

• Haha 1

Hmm, I’ve discovered that while I sometimes over-poach hen eggs, my poached duck eggs are perfect. I guess I was giving the former the same cooking time as the latter.