Probably wise to come back into the place with a completely different concept rather than make the changes and pretend it's still Savoy. I can't pretend to be surprised: Back Forty has been such a slamming success, especially through the bleak desert of 2009 when fine restaurants were standing empty, that the temptation to repeat must be irresistible. My only question is whether that Savoy crowd in that SoHo location will be immediately wooed by a Back Forty style.

Worth a try for sure.

The off-smelling burger place on Prince & Lafayette is doing fantastic business, and Back Forty is selling $24 entrees (and some $35 steaks) on Avenue B, so I'm sure they'll do just fine on that corner.

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Savoy was open for more than 20 years, a longevity that puts it in the upper 0.1%, maybe even the upper 0.01%. He has nothing to be ashamed of. When it closed, Hoffman's explanation was that the neigh

But all of them could, and probably would, maintain the same going-out lifestyle on a lower income, either through parental help or credit card debt. I know plenty of people who work in PR/Marketing

It's worth noting that although Savoy felt like an "adult" restaurant, it wasn't all that expensive compared to restaurants in its peer group. You'd pay about the same at Cookshop or ABC Kitchen. The white fireplace and candlelit setting created the appearance of a special occasion place, but the price tag was comparable to many other restaurants with a far less romantic atmosphere.

What Savoy lacked was buzz, and with locavore restaurants opening on every street corner, it no longer had a unique selling proposition, other than its lovely ambiance. It needed more regulars who would treat it like a "drop in" place.

The ambiance is indeed lovely, and I have been eating at Savoy off and on for about the past fifteen years, so I must like something about it (the fries and their salads spring to mind first). But I have had a lot of uneven meals there and I don't think it is all that inexpensive for what it is. And yes as oakapple pointed out there are now a lot of Savoy clones, although I would take it over Cookshop any day.

I liked the idea of the restaurant, but always left disappointed somehow.

That sums up my dinner experiences there, but I was often happy when I went for lunch. Had lunch upstairs with the Munchkin a few weeks ago; last time, I guess.

It has long been a Munchkin favorite, probably because it was the first restaurant where she got treated like a regular. Will have to break the news gently.

I liked the idea of the restaurant, but always left disappointed somehow.

Me, too.

(Also have to make obligatory mention of the fact that Savoy was Ground Zero of NBC, the place at which many of the couples who started the original NBC restaurants met.)

• 1 month later...
  • 5 years later...

Oh my. We were just there last Friday for the crab boil (AYCE Old Bay crabs, grilled corn, smashed potatoes, cornbread with honey butter, and fruit cobbler) and had a nice chat with Peter. Of course, I'm not surprised he didn't mention that. Well, he's been in the business for a long time and deserves a break.

ETA: I just saw that I had an email about this tonight.