most recognizable opening riffs

• Replies 276
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Crazy busy day, will have to go back and read this later perhaps, so slap me down if these have been mentioned: Psycho Killer, Brown Sugar.

Bears repeating. I recognize it from the first chord. So do millions.

I was going to mention Hard Day's Nigth's opening chord, but that's not a riff.

Also, to prevent unnecessary embarassments, I urge all of you to use proper riff nomenclature when quoting. Stone was exactly correct in using the DUH notation for Smoke On The Water and Stairway To Heaven, but not all riffs can be expressed using the DUH notation. For example, Brown Sugar requires the EH! notation:

EH! EH! EH!-EH! EH!-EH! EH!

And Johnny Marr's immortal riff in What Difference Does It Make requrires the DUN notation:

DUN DUN DUN-DUN DUN DUN DUN DUN DUN

It's worth noting that the complete Brown Sugar riff notation requires a combination of the EH! and DUN notations, as follows:

(DUN-DUN-DUN)

(DUN-DUN-DUN)

Hope this helps.

Also, to prevent unnecessary embarassments, I urge all of you to use proper riff nomenclature when quoting. Stone was exactly correct in using the DUH notation for Smoke On The Water and Stairway To Heaven, but not all riffs can be expressed using the DUH notation. For example, Brown Sugar requires the EH! notation:

And Johnny Marr's immortal riff in What Difference Does It Make requrires the DUN notation:

It's worth noting that the complete Brown Sugar riff notation requires a combination of the EH! and DUN notations, as follows:

(DUN-DUN-DUN)

(DUN-DUN-DUN)

Hope this helps.

And of course the Archers theme requires Dum de Dum.

You all catch that?