• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I'm afraid to look at any headlines. China, Myanmar. The east coast...

We have thunderstorms passing through StL this morning. I'd forgot what Missouri skies can look like, the swirls & churning patterns in the clouds that can stretch for miles. You don't see these sorts of clouds back east.

I wonder whether some plate stress led to both the Myanmar and China disasters

National Geographic did a special a few years back called Ring of Fire. This TV program looked at the circle of volcanos ranging from Indonesia, under the Pacific to Hawaii, under the Pacific to Alaska, along the shoreline off China and the Phillipines, off the Thai coast, and back to Indonesia.

Many are active volcanos, and most have relationships with the various tectonic plates associated with earthquakes. There's been an enormous amount of rumbling in recent years.

[sensitive political filter on] There's been some progress in installing the undersea warning devices which signal earthquake and tsunami events, but bringing a large number of fiercely independent nations on board isn't an easy task.[/sensitive political filter off]

Big thunderstorm headed our way. A tornado sighted about 15 miles up the road. I think I'm going to stay up with the TV on until this is over....

be safe. i've only recently discovered that minnesota is part of tornado alley as well and that the major hailstorm in our town the year before we arrived was related to the tornadoes that touched down one county over....

be safe. i've only recently discovered that minnesota is part of tornado alley as well and that the major hailstorm in our town the year before we arrived was related to the tornadoes that touched down one county over....

Always look on the bright side, eh?

Speaking of which, living in NY, do G and I need flooding and earthquake insurance? (More than half-serious....co-op policy renewal and all that.)

your insurance broker can give best advice but flood insurance is always a good thing if there's important mechanical stuff and storage in the basement. not every insurer offers it, though. we have flood insurance on our house.