Speaking of which, living in NY, do G and I need flooding and earthquake insurance? (More than half-serious....co-op policy renewal and all that.)

your insurance broker can give best advice but flood insurance is always a good thing if there's important mechanical stuff and storage in the basement. not every insurer offers it, though. we have flood insurance on our house.

There's something about NY being around tidal rivers that don't flood and therefore one should not bother with flood insurance.

Speaking of which, living in NY, do G and I need flooding and earthquake insurance? (More than half-serious....co-op policy renewal and all that.)

your insurance broker can give best advice but flood insurance is always a good thing if there's important mechanical stuff and storage in the basement. not every insurer offers it, though. we have flood insurance on our house.

There's something about NY being around tidal rivers that don't flood and therefore one should not bother with flood insurance.

there used to be a creek running under the house next door to us and at least once a year they have to bring everything out of their basement to try to salvage it, in the sun, after a massive flood. less of an issue in manhattan, i'd guess. the insurance folks have charts showing the likelihood of flooding in your immediate area. you can also look these up yourself

Whew, last night's three consecutive storms rolling through were more than frog-stranglers. Foodie52, I hope your car survived the hail. I saw pictures this morning from the Tarrytown area with a baseball-sized piece of hail and an backyard with accumulated hailstones more than a foot-deep.

The ever-present warnings about rotations showing up in the radar had me wishing I had an emergency bag packed. With my bum leg, I'd never get a queen-sized mattress dragged inside the small bathroom with a tub that's on an interior wall. I'd just have to hold on tight to the plumbing and hope for the best. Texas, land of big sunsets and big storms.

Your building may have a master policy covering floods and insurance damage, you might want to check with the board, etc on what is covered.

Much of lower Manhattan, and many parts of the east side are only a few feet above sea level. A level 3-4-5 hurricane hitting at the river's high tide could put them under a few feet of water. Many parts of Jersey City, Brooklyn and Queens have the same problem.

Many areas of Manhattan, in particular, are built on filled in water areas. The area east of Water Street, Turtle Bay, Kip's Bay, much of Battery Park City, etc are all built on fill.

Your building may have a master policy covering floods and insurance damage, you might want to check with the board, etc on what is covered.

I am the board. It's the master policy we're renewing.

It's pouring frogs and hats,

chrysanthemums and poodles

bananas, broom and cats.

Assorted prunes and parrots

are dropping from the sky

here comes a bunch of carrots,

some hippopotami.

It's raining pens and pickles

and eggs and silverware.

a flood of figs and nickles

is falling through the air.

I see a swan, a sweater

a clock, a model train.

I like this so much better

than when it's raining rain.

Jack Perlutsky

:rolleyes:

how about 98 degree weather in san francisco?! and a heat index of 107!!!

people are playing in the sprinklers at dolores park.

squeat, how are you holding up?

It's supposed to be 30 degrees here tomorrow....the heat is going up so fast that the radiators are still on in my building. It's going to be a bad bad day. (For you Americans: 30 = 86 or fucking hot for Vancouver )

how about 98 degree weather in san francisco?! and a heat index of 107!!!

people are playing in the sprinklers at dolores park.

squeat, how are you holding up?

Thanks for thinking of me. I am sitting here at my desk in the office soaked in sweat and openly weeping. :(

(Though is hard to be entirely miserable knowing that the California Supreme Court have done the right thing.)

We huddled in the center of the house for about 15 minutes while ice fell from the sky. Nataly's garden is destroyed, John's car had a headlight smashed and my car has a few dings... the streets are covered in leaves and broken limbs. We got off easy, compared to other areas of town.

We huddled in the center of the house for about 15 minutes while ice fell from the sky. Nataly's garden is destroyed, John's car had a headlight smashed and my car has a few dings... the streets are covered in leaves and broken limbs. We got off easy, compared to other areas of town.

Holy Shit Jane!! I'm glad you guys are OK though.

God is still very mad at Texas. Now, why would that be?