• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Roads not full of potholes.

Beg to differ. There are massive potholes every winter because of all the freezing.

The politeness thing is true though. I caught myself saying hi to people I passed on the sidewalk today in west philly and they looked completely freaked out.

Roads not full of potholes.

Beg to differ. There are massive potholes every winter because of all the freezing.

Well, then they're better at filling the holes by mid-May in Missouri than they are in New Jersey.

The phrase "oh my gosh."

They also say "cool beans."

They should be tasered for that.

The only people I know who say "cool beans" come from Texas.

No one I know in Missouri uses that phrase.

(I wonder how many times a day RG & Joan say it to each other & have a good chuckle. It must be like a never-ending party to work at Rancho Gordo!)

The phrase "oh my gosh."

(I wonder how many times a day RG & Joan say it to each other & have a good chuckle. It must be like a never-ending party to work at Rancho Gordo!)

I knew people from Indiana who said it. Big pear shaped people.

The phrase "oh my gosh."

I knew people from Indiana who said it. Big pear shaped people.

I read somewhere that the latest science says it is better for your longevity to be pear shaped than it is to be apple shaped.

Which means I'm in trouble, but that's another thread.

The Texas "cool beans" people tend to be hard to compare with fruits. They work out more than I do.

Yard art.

I lived in Missouri until I was 23-ish and never heard anyone say cool beans. Don't think I heard it until I moved to SoCal. After living in Missouri, I moved to Boston and then to SoCal. I've enjoyed all of them. While I much prefer the weather in SoCal, I could easily go back to Missouri. As long as I could afford to hire someone to do the yard work in the summer and shovel the snow in the winter. I think I can be happy just about anywhere. Life is what you make it.

Yard art.

I lived in Missouri until I was 23-ish and never heard anyone say cool beans. Don't think I heard it until I moved to SoCal. After living in Missouri, I moved to Boston and then to SoCal. I've enjoyed all of them. While I much prefer the weather in SoCal, I could easily go back to Missouri. As long as I could afford to hire someone to do the yard work in the summer and shovel the snow in the winter. I think I can be happy just about anywhere. Life is what you make it.

We really like St. Louis and have talked many times about moving there in the future. It seems less likely now as we've really grown to love San Francisco. If things fall apart here, the Midwest is a good alternative for us and someplace we're comfortable (but a city, please--we own a house in a small Iowa town and there is almost nothing to do there).

If I can find the unintentionally hilarious article on Iowa featured in Martha Stewart Living about 10 years ago, I'll post some quotes.

Ha! You want potholes? Take a ride down Lake Shore Drive. I think some may be better described as sinkholes, or maybe trenches.

I grew up in northeastern NJ and then went to college in St. Louis (which, IMO, is as much a southern city as it is a midwestern one). The biggest adjustment for me was the speed at which everything and everybody moved. I just couldn't believe how slow everything was. After college I moved up to Chicago where I've lived ever since.

Now when I go back to NJ, I feel like they're the weird ones.