Food Magazines

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd just like to add that all of the recipes I've cooked from Saveur – and that adds up to 30 or so since its inception – have been good, with accurate ingredients and instructions, and satisfying results. I can hardly say the same for Food & Wine, Cooking Light, or Bon Appetit.

A few years ago, I used to see a couple of relatively low-end French cooking mags on the certain newstands. The recipes were strictly of the home-cooking-for-the-busy-working-mother stripe, but they much better than similar reicpes published in the U.S. I no longer see these magazines here, I suspect because the weak dollar makes them simply too expensive. I think the name of one of them was something like Cuisine Actuelle.

I hope Jinmyo forgives me for quoting her from another site wrt Gastronomica:

"Well, some of it is unintentionally funny. Then some of it tries to be funny in that pomo self-ironic heavy-handed fashion. Which can be funny in itself in a meta-narrative kinda way.

Some of the photographs are nice.

I'm just not sure that many of the people involved actually enjoy food as much as they are fascinated by chewing as metaphor."

One of my all time favorites in "Quotable Jinmyo" (another one is about fiddleheads)

• 2 months later...

The only food magazine I still bother with is Art of Eating.

I never use recipes but only read them like reading a musical score. So much of what appears in food magazines is more like annoying jingles or cheerleader chants than it is like chamber music or symphonies.

So: Feh.

I wouldn't taint my recycling bin with a copy of Gourmet.

And I wouldn't throw fish guts onto Food&Wine.

helena, of course of course.

• 2 weeks later...

I agree..the food magazones are more travel logs than anything else...but the ads keep me looking through them. The exception is Eating Well, which is quite different from the rest of the pack. I've disconitnued subscriptions to all except Cook's Illustrated ( which I also subscribe to online) which I know is basic but I've never NOT gotten some kind of hint or tidbit from every issue, every month, for years. And, Cooking Light, because my sister has gotten me a gift subscription for years, and it was the initial motivator for me to cook with less protein and more vegetables.

I agree..the food magazones are more travel logs than anything else...but the ads keep me looking through them. The exception is Eating Well, which is quite different from the rest of the pack. I've disconitnued subscriptions to all except Cook's Illustrated ( which I also subscribe to online) which I know is basic but I've never NOT gotten some kind of hint or tidbit from every issue, every month, for years. And, Cooking Light, because my sister has gotten me a gift subscription for years, and it was the initial motivator for me to cook with less protein and more vegetables.

You just stole my entire post - Cook's Illustrated and Cooking Light are my two subscriptions too. I like the step by step navel gazing aspect of Cook's approach to recipes.

And, (although my avatar hides it well) I'm always either on or not following some sort of diet (usually Weight Watchers) and most of my go-to low point recipes have come from Cooking Light. But I'd appreciate it as a man if everything before the taple in the magazine didn't seem like it was stolen from Women's Day or Good Housekeeping.

I'm rather surprised that so many of you feel the same way I do. I have gone off the food magazines. Don't know what it is, I used to feel so happy and excited about every new issue of Saveur and Gourmet, but half of them are now sitting in a pile waiting for a new home at the local high school home ec class. I thought maybe young minds might be inspired by them. Maybe I'm just old and jaded.

:rolleyes:

That said, have you seen some of the Australian publications? I've loved some of those and haven't given up the flip through at the local newstand. Another U.K. mag that has some merit is Olive, anyone get that in the U.S.? That's not bad.

Meanwhile, I am increasing my cookbook collection and that makes me happy and excited.

I subscribe to a France-based magazine called 3 Etoiles. It's new, and is only in its fourth magazine edition ever. It focuses on two and three star Michelin restaurants, or restaurants that could become such. It's my favorite magazine.

I subscribe to Vogue US, not only for the J Steingarten articles, but also to keep up with fashion trends (in addition to various other fashion magazines and shopping magazines, such as Lucky). Also Conde Nast Traveler, which sometimes mentions new restaurants. I get Destinations by reason of Amex card, and also get Quest and Where (NY) free.

I also subscribe to Bon Appetit, Gourmet, Saveurs US and Food and Wine. I will let the first two lapse when they come up for renewal, but keep the second two. I also regularly buy Gault-Millau, Saveurs France, Thuliers (sp) and Elle a Table, either at US or French bookstores. I subscribe to Art Culinaire, but will let that lapse when it comes up.

I subscribe to an online site called Bonjour Paris, which has a pretty good food correspondent in Margaret Kemp. I plan to keep that, in part because they have listings of temporary exhibitions and other limited-duration activities in Paris.

I read all of the above when received.

I stupidly resubscribed to Gourmet for another 2 years. Every issue gets flipped through, then tossed into the recycling. And yes, Priscilla, how many times Ruth can recycle the story of her mom's cooking is a fascination for me too. Bon Appetit I gave up on about a year ago. Saveur US has its moments.

Husband subscribes to Cook's Illustrated; it appeals to the geek in him. We get Fine Cooking and it's about the same as Cook's.

I have been cut off from introducing any more cookbooks into our home until our renovations are done. :rolleyes:

We get most of the food mags at the office, and I flip through occasionally, but the only one I read is Food Arts (for industry news/articles).

The last subscription I let go was Fine Cooking, which I still like in principle; it's structured mostly around techniques, an approach far more useful than recipes or travel destinations. But they were piling up unread.

And yes, Priscilla, how many times Ruth can recycle the story of her mom's cooking is a fascination for me too.

Hey, she managed to get a whole book out of it. I though Comfort Me with Apples was a big yawn. it had a few laugh out loud parts ( her mother was mentally ill, and some of the things she did were hysterical, in a sad way if you know what I mean) but long chapters with little substance, revelation or even interesting content.

And yes, Priscilla, how many times Ruth can recycle the story of her mom's cooking is a fascination for me too.

Hey, she managed to get a whole book out of it. I though Comfort Me with Apples was a big yawn. it had a few laugh out loud parts ( her mother was mentally ill, and some of the things she did were hysterical, in a sad way if you know what I mean) but long chapters with little substance, revelation or even interesting content.

Two books! The fist was Tender at the Bone. I never got around to Comfort Me With Apples.

We get most of the food mags at the office, and I flip through occasionally, but the only one I read is Food Arts (for industry news/articles).

Yes, I subscribe to Food Arts too. That magazine may be free for restaurant industry professionals. I also get J Beard newsletters.