• Replies 655
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When diners address chefs as 'chef'. What's that all about?

They are looking for a job in the kitchen? They haven't been introduced properly? They want to date him?

I was thinking more along the lines that they would like to prostrate themselves and have the chef urinate on them.

It's not? How so not?

I think it's certainly accepted convention to call a chef "Chef."

What would you have him/her called? "Good Evening, Dickhead" ?

a. I've always thought it proper to refer to a Chef you do not have a familiar relationship as Chef ______.

b. If I am wrong, who gives a shit?

First of all what is a 'chef'? It's not of the same order as a doctor or a duke's eldest daughter. Secondly, if we can establish the first, should we address all of this category as 'chef'. I mean, in most kitchens there is more than one chef; from the one who peels the potatoes to the one who controls the pass. Indeed, within the kitchen, the term chef is used to address those above one in the brigade (think boss), and even then there is a difference between a chef and the chef.

Let's just assume that the only individual who qualifies for address as 'chef' is 'the' chef; i.e. a named individual of culinary repute who heads one or more kitchens. Even then, why is it that a diner should address such an individual with a term of respect required by his subordinates. Are we suggesting that diners are naturally subordinate to the chef? Do civilians habitually address military officials as 'Sir'? Do I address another's manager as 'Boss'?

As far as I'm concerned addressing a chef as 'Chef' (remember, it means 'boss') is unnecessarily sycophantic since he's not my 'chef'; and people who are unnecessarily sycophantic are fawners and fawners annoy me, hence my comments.

It's simply convention.

What would you have me call him/her then? Thank you for a lovely meal, Dickhead? Joe? Mr. Smith? What if I don't know his name? Chef is simply what is normal and accepted as the way to address that person. There's no reason not to be respectful - being respectful doesn't necessarily mean being sycophantic.

And I call lots of people Sir and Ma'am all the time. Because it's polite and respectful, not because I'm kissing their asses.

It's simply convention.

So you keep saying. Of course, if it is as you say, you will be able to find a reliable source that states this to be the case. Otherwise, it's bunk.

And I call lots of people Sir and Ma'am all the time. Because it's polite and respectful, not because I'm kissing their asses.

Yes, but the point is that you don't call all people Sir or Ma'am all the time, because you don't feel beholden to to be polite and respectful to all people all the time, which is another way of saying that you only use Sir or Ma'am when do wish to appear polite and respectful, and what is arse-kissing if not wishing to appear polite and respectful?

You know, if I ever met the Queen I'd address her as 'Flaps'.

I caught myself in a jam referring to a chef in the third person. Do you say Chef Boyardee? I wouldn't have 5 years ago but now it seems like I couldn't call him Mr. Boyardee. Of course Mr would have been fine but I ended up referring to him as Stan. I hope that's his name.