• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Once at someone's birthday party at a red sauce Italian restaurant, the bill came out to significantly more than I had expected. I think I had brought $100 and it was $20 - $30 more than that. I was pretty shocked at the cost, as I would never expect to pay that kind of cash for that kind of food. It was a cash only situation and there were a lot of people there. I believe Glyn spotted me the money, which was very gracious of him.

to my abiding shame we didn't bring enough money to the centrico dinner with mf'ers in jan 2006. we'd been out all day, had meant to go to an atm before dinner, got lost on the way to the restaurant and forgot to go to look for an atm because we were already late blah blah blah.

Oh, that's ok. Your warmth and enthusiasm and just plain wonderfulness make it alright.

No cold cash could replicate your joy and purpose.

See, some Americans do understand irony, a bit heavy handed maybe, verging on sarcasm possibly, but certainly acceptable usage.

This might be tangentially off topic, but who grabs the check and takes responsibility for the unexpected sneaky charges? If you don't read the menu thoroughly on corkage fees, say, or plating charges with extra forks, I'm seeing a $2-5 extra charge for what used to be part of the meal. Maybe I'm terribly naive or provencial but when asked whether I prefer white or fried rice, I don't expect to pay extra for ANY rice in an Asian restaurant. Or served a double portion when I didn't realize you were served a double portion unless you specify a single portion. I don't think I'm cheap or stingy but when and if I see a florist charge for the flowers on the table, or laundry charge for red wine spills on the linen, I might feel a bit clipped. These tiny charges tend to show up when dining in groups. And it makes me feel petty to question it if the final bill is hefty by choice.

Once at someone's birthday party at a red sauce Italian restaurant, the bill came out to significantly more than I had expected. I think I had brought $100 and it was $20 - $30 more than that. I was pretty shocked at the cost, as I would never expect to pay that kind of cash for that kind of food. It was a cash only situation and there were a lot of people there. I believe Glyn spotted me the money, which was very gracious of him.

to my abiding shame we didn't bring enough money to the centrico dinner with mf'ers in jan 2006. we'd been out all day, had meant to go to an atm before dinner, got lost on the way to the restaurant and forgot to go to look for an atm because we were already late blah blah blah.

Oh, that's ok. Your warmth and enthusiasm and just plain wonderfulness make it alright.

No cold cash could replicate your joy and purpose.

See, some Americans do understand irony, a bit heavy handed maybe, verging on sarcasm possibly, but certainly acceptable usage.

How dare you! My heart will not be challenged!