Sign in to follow this  
helena

Squash Blossoms

Looking for suggestions on dishes where squash blossom is a star, preferably something summery and light :)

Tempura-style frying works well. They also work pretty well as the veg in a frittata or flat omelet. Once you stuff them, the filling takes over, although a very mild cheese (cut in batonnets) might work. And I just don't like them steamed; but you might.

not so light, but i love them quick fried in a tempura style batter or in my days of carefree dairy eating stuffed with a soft cheese.

i also have a fallback for when i don't use them fast enough to make them the stars of the show: squash blossom soup which is basically a chicken broth, garlic and mushroom soup with sauteed squash blossoms added and them the whole thing pureed, it can be finished with cream or half and half. not sure if soy milk would work, i think that'd make it chalky, so i've never tried that

Sheridan Square does deep fired squash blossoms stuffed with meaty crab. Delicious.

I thought they were wonderful, but as someone else mentioned, the blossom itself kind of disappeared. Not that I'd refuse to eat them again. :lol:

Not light and summery, but really, really good:

Flor de Calabaza Estilo Cristina

1 large bunch very fresh squash blossoms, washed and rough-chopped

2 chiles poblano, roasted, peeled, and 1/2" diced

2 large russet potatoes, peeled, 1/2" diced, boiled till soft and allowed to dry

1/4 cup white flour

1 medium white onion, peeled and 1/2" diced

sea salt to taste, 2 uses

lard and/or vegetable oil

Big sauté pan

Heat lard and/or oil in sauté pan. Add diced onions, sauté till translucent. Add diced chiles, sauté for 2 minutes.

Put flour, a tsp of salt, and the cooked diced potatoes in a plastic bag and shake till the potatoes are lightly floured. Discarding excess flour, add potatoes to the sauté pan. Over medium-high heat, sauté potato/onion/chile mix till the potatoes are lightly browned.

Add chopped squash flowers to the mix and sauté until soft. Add sea salt to taste.

Serves 4 as a side dish.

Provecho!

That sounds great.

I do think I like them best simply fried in a tempura-like batter with perhaps a little ricotta mixed with a small bit of fresh herbs mixed in as a stuffing.

Has anyone seen squash blossoms in the city's green markets (Union Sqaure preferably)? There are some in the Staten Island green market, but they sell out within minutes and the line is an hour long!!!

I've been toying with new stuffing ideas and would like to make some this weekend - any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

They had them at the 175th st. greenmarket last week(no line). I will check again on Thursday.

What are you going to do with them?

Boro Hall greenmarket has had them for the last few weeks. Big bags for $5.

We had a bunch yesterday from a friend's garden, didn't even stuff them, just dipper in a light batter and deep fried then topped with soy and chopped garlic.

They had them at the 175th st. greenmarket last week(no line). I will check again on Thursday.

What are you going to do with them?

Three thoughts: stuff them with a lobster risotto - batter, deep fry and top with a very light lemon/wine sauce. Another - stuff with a riccota and crispy proscuitto mixture, batter, deep fry and top with a dollop of tomato chutney. And third, stuff with mascarpone, fontina bits and grilled, crumbled hot Italian sausage, batter, deep fry - no sauce, but sprinkle with parmesan.