Sign in to follow this  
mongo_jones

home improvement and maintenance

Nobody asked but...on the advice of my friend who used to work for Janovic, I don't prime when I paint walls.

even a new plaster wall?

Nobody asked but...on the advice of my friend who used to work for Janovic, I don't prime when I paint walls.

nor does mrs. jones, and she's painted the complete interior walls of both of our houses.

even a new plaster wall?

Oh that I don't know. Is it not going to stick to the plaster or something? Why would you prime a new plaster wall?

even a new plaster wall?

Oh that I don't know. Is it not going to stick to the plaster or something? Why would you prime a new plaster wall?

because the plaster guy said to. i've never primed a wall before and i've painted a lot of walls but he made a big deal about priming first

even a new plaster wall?

because the plaster guy said to. i've never primed a wall before and i've painted a lot of walls but he made a big deal about priming first

Dunno, it's up to you but I don't see the point and since you don't own the place...

even a new plaster wall?

Dunno, it's up to you but I don't see the point and since you don't own the place...

true, i guess that i'm so used to owning that i always forget that i don't own this place. no primer it is!

I think the fresh plaster might absorb a ton of paint of it's not primed first.

That would be my guess. And if you don't prime, you'll probably have to apply a second top coat.

uncoated sheetrock pretty much has to be primed or it'll look like crap even with two coats. Painted walls don't need to be re-primed usually assuming the existing paint isn't unusual.

I think the fresh plaster might absorb a ton of paint of it's not primed first.

This. I think you'll save money on paint if you shell out for a coat of primer.

uncoated sheetrock pretty much has to be primed or it'll look like crap even with two coats. Painted walls don't need to be re-primed usually assuming the existing paint isn't unusual.

you have to be careful to clean the wall of any grease -- primer is very sticky and somewhat diminishes that need.

re unusual paint: the house i owned in seattle had a 16 x 20 living room with a dark brown ceiling. primer was a necessity.

you have to be careful to clean the wall of any grease -- primer is very sticky and somewhat diminishes that need.

re unusual paint: the house i owned in seattle had a 16 x 20 living room with a dark brown ceiling. primer was a necessity.

you mean, i should not have have spread lard on the new plaster walls?