I'm taking the week after next off from work, and I'm thinking I might like to get out of town for a few days. I'd like to go to a city, because I freak out when I'm not in a city. I don't want to leave the country, because I'd like to still have at least a little bit of cash when I get back.

I'm interested in architecture, and have never been to Chicago. What will the weather be like there? Will it be hot and muggy? Because I can't do hot and muggy, which is why I'm not going back to New Orleans until the fall. And of course that puts the East Coast right out, too.

Maybe I should just go back to Seattle...

Any ideas on where to go?

Any suggestions for Chicago?

Thanks in advance!

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We're at a loss as well. Blovie and I have had the following conversation more than once over the past few weeks:

Me: So, where do you want to go on vacation?

He: I don't know. Where do you want to go?

Me: I don't know. That's why I asked you.

I think we're going to end up back on the Cape.

As for your dilemma - How about Vancouver if it ever warms up? (I know it's out of the country, but it's Canada so it doesn't really count)

Although I adore Vancouver, a beautiful city with incredible views, wonderful people, and some interesting buildings, when I think of BC cities with great architecture, I think more about Victoria, although it is considerably smaller. Suppose might be good for a day trip if you select Vancouver. You do need to consider that the Canadian dollar is very strong against the US dollar right now.

If you're polling the MF membership, sign me up for Chicago. An absolutely fabulous city with a terrific and dynamic downtown, famous buildings, a great lakefront, good food and music and fabulous museums.

Yep, I'd vote for Chicago.

I love Chicago. Lots of buildings & stuff to look at, great vibe to the city.

It is prone to humidity, being on Lake Michigan, you just gotta deal with it. June shouldn't be too bad though. Their 10-day forecast, it stays in the 70s, about 10 degrees cooler than we are here in the NYC area. Sounds pretty sweet to me.

The Art Institute has a terrific Impressionist collection. The smallish zoo in Lincoln Park is really well stocked, with some unusual beasts.

Frank Lloyd Wright has a bunch of houses around Chicago. I've yet to have had time to see any of these on our trips there so can't recommend first-hand, but they're always on my agenda.

I love Chicago! It's a great walkable city with good food. Lots of cool architecture. June should not be sweltering. I have to attend a wedding there Labor Day weekend and I'm very much looking forward to that and hoping for cooler weather.

It's been hot and stormy here the past week, but that's unusual for June. Next week is supposed to be in the low-mid 70's, so there might still be some time before the heat and humidity set in for the next few months.

Chicago is great, and it's even better during the summer.

Yeah, Vancouver has been another strong candidate, but there is that whole dollar thing. I have heard great things about Victoria, as well.

Is Chicago really a "windy city"? Because maybe I could stand it if I could rely on a breeze. I suppose most of the buildings have air conditioning, too, right? I just have hellish memories of summers spent in Washington DC in my youth and I start sobbing uncontrollably.

Thanks for all the thoughts so far! If you think of anything else, pipe up!

Also, restaurant/food suggestions if I do go to Chicago? Or Vancouver?

Cheers!

It's been hot and stormy here the past week, but that's unusual for June. Next week is supposed to be in the low-mid 70's, so there might still be some time before the heat and humidity set in for the next few months.

Chicago is great, and it's even better during the summer.

You know, I remember reading somewhere that every city has its "season." Wish I could remember where I read it, and what it said about all the cities, but the ones I remember are:

New York. Winter, when the snow covers the hard edges and softens the city, and hawkers sell chestnuts and Christmas trees and skaters fill Rockefeller center and holiday lights are everywhere.

DC. Spring, when the trees bud out and the mall turns green and the aroma of cherry blossoms fill the air.

Chicago. Summer, when the lake sparkles and fills with brightly-colored sails and there are outdoor concerts to attend and it seems the entire city has a kite to fly.

Yeah, Vancouver has been another strong candidate, but there is that whole dollar thing. I have heard great things about Victoria, as well.

Is Chicago really a "windy city"? Because maybe I could stand it if I could rely on a breeze. I suppose most of the buildings have air conditioning, too, right? I just have hellish memories of summers spent in Washington DC in my youth and I start sobbing uncontrollably.

Thanks for all the thoughts so far! If you think of anything else, pipe up!

Also, restaurant/food suggestions if I do go to Chicago? Or Vancouver?

Cheers!

Read the Vancouver thread! You'll love love love it. And you have Peppyre and Mooshmouse there, couldn't be more wonderful hosts. And the restaurant scene is great, and the city is beautiful, and it's lively and fun and it gets dark at like 11pm. Do it!!!