Yeah, Vancouver has been another strong candidate, but there is that whole dollar thing. I have heard great things about Victoria, as well.

Is Chicago really a "windy city"? Because maybe I could stand it if I could rely on a breeze. I suppose most of the buildings have air conditioning, too, right? I just have hellish memories of summers spent in Washington DC in my youth and I start sobbing uncontrollably.

Thanks for all the thoughts so far! If you think of anything else, pipe up!

Also, restaurant/food suggestions if I do go to Chicago? Or Vancouver?

Cheers!

The "windy city" refers not to how breezy weather conditions are, but rather the bluster that typically comes from Chicago politicians (in one famous case, lobbying for the 1893 World's Fair).

But, yeah, it also gets pretty windy here.

The best new restaurant in the city right now is hands down L2O, Laurent Gras' new seafood focused spot. Blackbird and North Pond are also great higher-end spots.

If you want ethnic, you can't go wrong with Thai (TAC Quick, Spoon Thai) or Mexican.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, Vancouver has been another strong candidate, but there is that whole dollar thing.

Your dollar is at par in both Vancouver and Chicago ;)

(Seriously, we were going to the US to fish when our dollar was under 65 cents... and we have fish in Canada too.)

I see lots of great things about Chicago (which is on my list), but have you considered San Diego?

I would love for someone else to compare Mexican cuisine from close to the border with someone who knows....

Hillcrest is a great little evening place á la The Castro (a bit more on the elegant side).

All of Balboa Park is breathtaking with architecture, art, gardens, and more (I could spend several days there alone!). The number of museums all walking distance from one another is dizzying: Aerospace, Reuben H. Fleet Space Theatre & Science Center, Natural History, Photographic Arts, Maritime, Contemporary Art, Railroad, Museum of Man, Timken Museum of Art, Mingei International Museum, Automotive Museum, Japanese Friendship Garden, etc...

The Gaslamp district has fabulous architecture, shops (Horton Plaza is a site to see), AND great evening jazz.

There is a newly-remodeled Italian district with very impressive restaurants.

Seaport Village; kitchy, yes, but to wander along the water and see dozens of kite-flyers is great fun.

Also in Balboa Park is The Old Globe (if you want more "serious" theater) and the Starlight Bowl which is home to great musicals under the stars. The Spreckels Organ Pavilion often has Sunday afternoon performances.

Then there is the "beach scene" which is touristy but has some advantages. It is a great city to bike around, the weather will obviously be amazing, and everyone is very hospitable.

And all of the above is located in downtown and all within walking distance. Outside of that, you have La Jolla, all of the North County villages (Encinitas, Carlsbad, Leucadia, Del Mar, etc.), and great hiking around the hillside of UCSD.

I see lots of great things about Chicago (which is on my list), but have you considered San Diego?

I would love for someone else to compare Mexican cuisine from close to the border with someone who knows....

Hillcrest is a great little evening place á la The Castro (a bit more on the elegant side).

All of Balboa Park is breathtaking with architecture, art, gardens, and more (I could spend several days there alone!). The number of museums all walking distance from one another is dizzying: Aerospace, Reuben H. Fleet Space Theatre & Science Center, Natural History, Photographic Arts, Maritime, Contemporary Art, Railroad, Museum of Man, Timken Museum of Art, Mingei International Museum, Automotive Museum, Japanese Friendship Garden, etc...

The Gaslamp district has fabulous architecture, shops (Horton Plaza is a site to see), AND great evening jazz.

There is a newly-remodeled Italian district with very impressive restaurants.

Seaport Village; kitchy, yes, but to wander along the water and see dozens of kite-flyers is great fun.

Also in Balboa Park is The Old Globe (if you want more "serious" theater) and the Starlight Bowl which is home to great musicals under the stars. The Spreckels Organ Pavilion often has Sunday afternoon performances.

Then there is the "beach scene" which is touristy but has some advantages. It is a great city to bike around, the weather will obviously be amazing, and everyone is very hospitable.

And all of the above is located in downtown and all within walking distance. Outside of that, you have La Jolla, all of the North County villages (Encinitas, Carlsbad, Leucadia, Del Mar, etc.), and great hiking around the hillside of UCSD.

Boy, you're right. San Diego is a perfect place to visit. The weather is always wonderful, the architecture stunning and as for food, he can take the trolley over to TJ and eat a Caesar Salad at the restaurant where it was invented.

But if it's Van, and if you don't want to stay right downtown, you can rent a car and stay in my favorite "hotel" in the entire world:

River Run Cottages

montreal. there is always something going on in the city - jazz festival is super; comedy, film festival, books. the old part of the city has great restaurants. the new one has great shopping, style, bargains. the exchange rate i think is still favorable. you can get hotels at very reasonable price. weather is hot but not muggy.

quebec city is good as well. a little provincial though.

between victoria and vancouver - victoria wins easy.

Wow, thanks, everybody!

Josh: now that you've said that about the "windy city", I remember having read that somewhere. Thank you for the insider tips.

Omni: I will read the Vancouver thread tonight. Thanks for the link.

Carrie: Can one get around San Diego walking/on public transit? I don't want to have to rent a bike or pay for too many cabs to get places. Funny, I lived in San Diego as an infant. But on the whole, the idea of SoCal really doesn't appeal to me.

Thanks again to all!

montreal. there is always something going on in the city - jazz festival is super; comedy, film festival, books. the old part of the city has great restaurants. the new one has great shopping, style, bargains. the exchange rate i think is still favorable. you can get hotels at very reasonable price. weather is hot but not muggy.

quebec city is good as well. a little provincial though.

between victoria and vancouver - victoria wins easy.

Ooh! I've always wanted to visit Quebec City. Would they hate me if I didn't speak French? (I can read it a little, but my accent is awful and my vocabulary worse!)

I have fond (though distant) memories of Montreal. I visited there with my parents when I was a little kid to go to Expo '67!

Has no one rallied round NYC? It's only June, and yes, we had a heat wave last week (and no power here for awhile) but it should be glorious this time of year. Come on, Squeat, New York in June? We can offer a greenmarket tour, a no-strings kitten adoption (right, Splinky?), architecture, museums, fairly empty city on weekends...

Has no one rallied round NYC? It's only June, and yes, we had a heat wave last week (and no power here for awhile) but it should be glorious this time of year. Come on, Squeat, New York in June? We can offer a greenmarket tour, a no-strings kitten adoption (right, Splinky?), architecture, museums, fairly empty city on weekends...

Oh. I thought Squeat meant he needed a vacation from us.

Squeat, Callie says you should come on out to Nueva York! He has his own luggage, carry on, of course.

2519112671_fbf5787c5b_m.jpg

Carrie: Can one get around San Diego walking/on public transit? I don't want to have to rent a bike or pay for too many cabs to get places. Funny, I lived in San Diego as an infant. But on the whole, the idea of SoCal really doesn't appeal to me.

Thanks again to all!

I lived there for six years, and though it's a huge metropolis, it's not a "city" in my mind. Yes, the population would indicate such, but it's not compact and it doesn't feel like a city. Yes, it's beautiful, but Squeat, like most of Southern California, you are hosed without a car. Urban sprawl! (And I just visited twice a couple of years ago...I know the place well.)

Go to Canadia, eh? Or Chicago. I might like Chicago even more than San Francisco, but I am wedded to my coast. I think you would LOVE it. (And I'll have restaurant recs should you go there.)