Yeah, plans are coming together. I will be in Austin over the weekend of the 4th. Now to lay out my plans. First things first, Migas for breakfast, where? My nephew lives between Ben White and Buda (I have no idea what this means but I will probably stay close to where he lives, funds are not endless no matter that I wish they were). It will be the first Austin 4th for all of us, what is the most spectacular not to be missed thing that happens. As to food, I will deal with that next week. Will everyone be in town? Can we have a meet up of some sorts, even for coffee and donuts at that place on south Congress? I don't remember the name.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm afraid that we are all exhausted already from the heat. But that doesn't mean we can't meet up some time and eat together. Let's keep this thread going and see what we can do.

Who's around on the 4th? I am. I was thinking about a mouthfuls party where everyone cooks one recipe from the Iyer book that I have (I can pass it around).

What do y'all think? We'd have some kick ass Indian food that night...we could start late: wait til the sun goes down.

• 2 weeks later...

Oh wow, foodie, I just saw this. Your idea sounds wonderful, unfortunately I don't know if it would work for me. It turns out we are going to have a somewhat small family reunion, my brother is coming up from south Texas where he is working on a wind turbine installation, and other family members are coming in. So we will be overrunning my poor nephews house and abusing his hospitality. I told him that I do want to drive over to Lockhart and maybe even check out Snow's in Lexington to see what is up there. And I would imagine that I will be cooking one meal for the gang. I am thinking pasta, salad and shiners, easy enough. If your working over the weekend you might see me in the market.

Foodie, you are one of the fabulous people of Austin.

Let us know if there 's a window somewhere for us to see you. I'm not working over the 4th (yay!) so I won't be in the store at all.

BTW: my last day at Central Market is August 4. It's official.

Let us know if there 's a window somewhere for us to see you. I'm not working over the 4th (yay!) so I won't be in the store at all.

Whatchugonnado?

And I would really, really like to visit Austin, too, when the weather is cooler. I don't want to melt like the Wicked Witch of the West that I am. My goal is a Sunday brunch at Fonda San Miguel with some MFF imaginary friends. Hotel. Slow moving. Relaxed. Lots of frosty beverages. Something like that. Tried once before but nobody showed any interest . . .

Whatchugonnado?

THIS

I will call you when I get to town, your new project sounds interesting.

where are the best fireworks? My nephew lives on the southside.

Oh, the grand nieces love love sushi, ages 4 and 7. I will need a place that is family friendly, not so much fancy I don't care what part of town or should I care. And I think we are going to the capital to run around some if it is open. After all, my brother and I are both native to the west of Texas. Another place that interests me is Lola's soul food.

I don't know that we will be hanging out at the bars down off downtown but kid friendly stuff is high on the list. I had such a great time taking the kids to see the outdoor presentation of 7 brides for 7 brothers at Discoveryland, these kids are into broadway musicals. Especially the 4 and the 7 year old.

if I sound like a doting uncle, GUILTY.

Whatchugonnado?

THIS

What part of THIS? I don't understand howse come there are so many food allergies nowadays. My granddaughter has had the expensive allergy tests and they came out positive for both cow and soy milk and beef. Her kindergarten teacher is deathly alergic to peanuts so no peanut butter allowed in lunches. Yikes. How to plan for everybody . . .

I'm co-managing the program with Patricia. We have 6 schools this fall and will be feeding over 1000 children daily. We're only in private schools right now because public schools can't pay for a private lunch program, but our goal is to get into the public schools. The Berkeley Unified School District (Chef Ann Cooper) is doing it there.

We hire cooks, train them, have local, fresh products delivered to each school and cook hot, nutritious meals ON site. No commissary. Our cooks make the food and serve it out. Right then and there. For some kids, it's the only good meal they'll have. Not because they are poor (these are upscale schools we are in , as well as a couple of affordable private church schools...) but because their parents are mostly too busy to cook at night.

I'm gonna get my photo and bio on the website as soon as I find a decent picture of me....

Jane, that sounds wonderful and, frankly, like it might be a nice change of pace from flogging upscale gourmet food, if you know what I mean.

And I'll be in town around the 12th-14th, on my way to Houston. Never thought I'd be glad to be moving to Houston, but Springfield, MO, a lovely but incredibly boring town, has put Houston into perspective.

First meal report. Dinner, I was tired and told my nephew that I didn't want to go far. So we went to Trudy's south of Ben White off I-35, correct me if I am wrong I wasn't driving. I guess it is a local chain, they were very busy for a Wednesday night and it was after 8:30pm. Once we were seated things speeded up. The chips and salsa were nothing to write home about. I ordered the special, a carnitas filled chili rellenos and was very happy with it. Now I can go to bed wondering where I will have breakfast. Right now I am tempted to see what the fair burg of Buda (Byew-dah - they talk funny here in Texas) can come up with for breakfast. Surely there is something. Lunch, I am thinking maybe checking out the Queen Lola's that Kent talks about so much either that or drag my nephews lazy butt over to Lockhart. I can't believe that he hasn't been there yet.

So we went to Trudy's south of Ben White off I-35, correct me if I am wrong I wasn't driving. I guess it is a local chain, they were very busy for a Wednesday night and it was after 8:30pm. Once we were seated things speeded up. The chips and salsa were nothing to write home about. I ordered the special, a carnitas filled chili rellenos and was very happy with it.

Yep, a local chain with quite serviceable TexMex. And you definitely need to get your nephew to Lockhart.

Lockhart for lunch and due to time restraints (I had an appointment to get some new glasses since I left mine at home, I don't wear them all the time, vanity) we had to get back to Austin. Over all, a wonderful experience. We ate at Smitty's. Fatty brisket, hot sausages and ribs need we say more? the brisket was incredibly good. The ribs were also great. The sausage was not all that, sort of bland, no real deep distinctive flavor or hotness. The beans were pretty good, just needed some hot sauce.

My nephew was definitely blown away since Lockhart is only 30 minutes from his house. And I did show him where Kruez's was on the way out of town on 183. I would venture a guess that we might go back before the weekend is over. My brother loves bbq and was asking about County Line. I have not been there so I was no help. A bonus of this meal, my cousins oldest son lives in Lockhart and joined us for lunch. It was great to see John.

I have no idea what is in store for dinner. We have other family showing up this afternoon and I am not making plans.