Gay men and straight women have similar brains

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So are they saying that more gays are left handed than straights? Hmmm. I'd like to see more research on this. In my experience, and I've stated this elsewhere here, IMHO identical twins often have mirror images of each other. One is mathematical/mechanical and one is creative/musical; one is right handed and one is left handed; one is straight and one is gay; etc. I am still not convinced of etiologies for nature/nurture. Parenting/modeling/identification are just as possible sources as direct biological/hormonal influences in utero. The jury is still out.

Chop their right hands off, then they'd soon be left-handed.

Don't you mean, one-handed?

Er, no.

You're not wrong, ever since I lost the use of my left hand I've been right-handed.

More than that. It was an admittedly witty allusion to the possibility that predilections can be influenced by environment.

Pearls before swine, I know.

One thing you didn't mention yet is the possibility that most of the participants were being controlled externally.

Mad20Max.jpg

I have no interest in reading ten pages of this but I read the first two so pardon if I'm merely repeating what others pointed out in later pages:

1. Wilfrid is absolutely right that its standard in studies of this nature to give questionnaires assessing participants on the Kinsey scale. if you want to ensure that your participants are exclusively heterosexual or exclusively homosexual..then you simply use people with those Kinsey coefficients. simple. rather than look at self-reported identity, you look at behavior. much simpler and more accurate.

2. I have no clue as to the validity of this particular study...but there are preexisting MRI-based studies finding similarities between the brains of homosexual men and heterosexual women.

3. nature and nurture don't just come down to genes and childhood environment, many researchers into sexual orientation believe that the hormonal interaction of the fetus and mother also play a role.

4. if one identical twin is homosexual, the odds of the other identical twin being homosexual is 25%. that's much higher than random but hardly indicative of complete determination either by genes or the womb environment. but it does indicate that either/both are substantial factors.

5. left-handedness correlates with all sorts of non-majority human traits.

So are they saying that more gays are left handed than straights? Hmmm. I'd like to see more research on this. In my experience, and I've stated this elsewhere here, IMHO identical twins often have mirror images of each other. One is mathematical/mechanical and one is creative/musical; one is right handed and one is left handed; one is straight and one is gay; etc. I am still not convinced of etiologies for nature/nurture. Parenting/modeling/identification are just as possible sources as direct biological/hormonal influences in utero. The jury is still out.

the giant Minnesota twins study indicates that you're completely wrong. identical twins are much more like each other than fraternal twins or mere siblings.