Gay men and straight women have similar brains

Note this comment from the Sci Am article:

Robert Epstein, emeritus director of the Cambridge Center for Behavioral Studies in Concord, Mass., agrees that the study offers compelling evidence that sexual orientation is a biologically fixed characteristic. But he cautions that these findings may vary in different people whose sexual orientation is not that clear-cut, which his own research shows includes a majority of the population.

The study we're discussing doesn't generalize its findings to the entire population. And the findings support the possibility that the brains of those with no clear-cut sexual orientation will vary.

That's what I'm saying. :lol:

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Robert Epstein, emeritus director of the Cambridge Center for Behavioral Studies in Concord, Mass., agrees that the study offers compelling evidence that sexual orientation is a biologically fixed characteristic. But he cautions that these findings may vary in different people whose sexual orientation is not that clear-cut, which his own research shows includes a majority of the population.

The study we're discussing doesn't generalize its findings to the entire population. And the findings support the possibility that the brains of those with no clear-cut sexual orientation will vary.

I thought you viewed that as a limitation of the study.

No, of course not. It's a limitation on what should be inferred from it.

Sorry, call me dense. What should not be inferred?

Oooo, I say we do race next.. I hear white people have bigger brains then black people.. But a white man who is "undecided" has a similar brain to a Mexican hermaphrodite..

I see they used the Kinsey Scale. And plugging "kinsey scale" into PubMed brings up a study in which gay men show greater fluctuating asymmetry (of ear breadth, ankle breadth, and/or the length of their second/fourth fingers) than straight men. No such correspondence was found for gay and straight women.

Whee.

I am at least mildly reassured to see that "Kinsey scale" gets a total of 5 hits on PM.

Oooo, I say we do race next.. I hear white people have bigger brains then black people.. But a white man who is "undecided" has a similar brain to a Mexican hermaphrodite..

That's nothing. Almost everyone knows Zebras have brains three times the size of Striped Bass.

I see they used the Kinsey Scale. And plugging "kinsey scale" into PubMed brings up a study in which gay men show greater fluctuating asymmetry (of ear breadth, ankle breadth, and/or the length of their second/fourth fingers) than straight men. No such correspondence was found for gay and straight women.

What does that mean?

Sorry, call me dense. What should not be inferred?

See the Epstein comment I was referring to. ETA: I.e. what Epstein was "cautioning" about.