Skillet

Back from the wedding! The menu was

cauliflower fritters with lemon aioli

crostini with fresh ricotta and dried tomatoes

some sort of pasta salad that I didn't try

salad with chickpeas and cherry tomatoes

steak frites

salmon with couscous

The cauliflower was good and a real crowd pleaser, as were the crostini (the fresh ricotta and tomatoes made for a very pizza-y flavor.) I really liked the steak frites, and the salmon was good, though cooked a little rare for my taste. My only complaint is that the meal was a little short on vegetables-- the salad was heavier on chickpeas than on tomatoes-- and long on starch, with a giant pile of (very tasty) frites and not a whole lot of steak. But the food was all good, and according to my dad, very reasonably priced. Definitely a good catering option, I'd say.

Skillet may have lost me. While the quality of the food is good, $9 for half a pork sandwich and $6 for arancini makes it a poor value compared to places where I don't have to wait in line, and actually have seating and service. Isn't value supposed to be part of the whole food truck formula?

Skillet may have lost me. While the quality of the food is good, $9 for half a pork sandwich and $6 for arancini makes it a poor value compared to places where I don't have to wait in line, and actually have seating and service. Isn't value supposed to be part of the whole food truck formula?

Did you go today and get on camera saying that? (Food Network Canada)

Agreed.

Did you go today and get on camera saying that? (Food Network Canada)

Uh, no. :huh: I went for lunch and last Thursday when they were parked in SLU.

I haven't been to the Skillet Diner yet and was thinking of going this weekend with some friends. I know it got some meh reviews at first (but so did Poppy which is now a favorite of mine). Has anyone been recently? Also I can't tell from their website if they take reservations?

I haven't been to the Skillet Diner yet and was thinking of going this weekend with some friends. I know it got some meh reviews at first (but so did Poppy which is now a favorite of mine). Has anyone been recently? Also I can't tell from their website if they take reservations?

It's been a year since Mary and I went but it was awful when we went. Overly sweet drinks, bland food but the most egregious thing was the use of braising greens on a salad.

I've liked their burgers off the truck but won't go back to the diner.