Coctel de Camarón (Shrimp Cocktail) Redux

How much water do you use when you poach the shrimp?

Omni, it's a lot of large shrimp (48 or so with the shell on), so you need a lot of water to cover them. It takes a big-ish pot. Just 'water to cover' should do it.

Oh that looks lovely. Cristina, how does this differ from campechana, if at all?

The coctel campechana normally includes the shrimp, some white fish, oysters, and perhaps some pulpo--or whatever else seafood might be lying about in the kitchen.

We did this in Mexican Cooking Project #5 (it's pinned up there), but here's a refresher course:

Coctel de Camarón (Shrimp Cocktail), Mexican Style

I understand this is how it's traditionally done, but wouldn't it be better to make a proper shrimp stock from the heads? I'd be really surprised if the aromatics and shrimps impact much flavor until they're properly cooked.

We did this in Mexican Cooking Project #5 (it's pinned up there), but here's a refresher course:

I understand this is how it's traditionally done, but wouldn't it be better to make a proper shrimp stock from the heads? I'd be really surprised if the aromatics and shrimps impact much flavor until they're properly cooked.

Different, yes, but not necessarily better. Try it both ways and see which you prefer, and let us know. Bear in mind that there is so much flavor in the elements of the coctel that the shrimp stock shouldn't predominate.

Different, yes, but not necessarily better. Try it both ways and see which you prefer, and let us know. Bear in mind that there is so much flavor in the elements of the coctel that the shrimp stock shouldn't predominate.

Here's a link to a version I made, based on posts by Cristina and Jaymes and other sources, that goes on to cook the shells and stock ingredients to extract more flavor after the shrimp are poached and the meat removed. If I had heads, I'd add them in too, but I was making it for a crowd, so was using frozen shrimp and only had the shells. I didn't think the shrimp stock overpowered the dish, just added a nice base note.

Thanks for bringing this back up Cristina, it's such a great summer dish!

Shouldn't it be Cocktail de Camarones? Unless we are making the cocktail with a single one. This here is a serious joint and we need to be particular about things. Get it together people.

I can only afford one shrimp.

Shouldn't it be Cocktail de Camarones? Unless we are making the cocktail with a single one. This here is a serious joint and we need to be particular about things. Get it together people.

Jajajaja. This would be a collective noun, hermano. Much like you wouldn't shop for frijoles in the market, you would ask for frijol, even though you might want 10 kilos to cook for a crowd. Once they're cooked, you'd have frijoles.