I suspect we will see more & more of these in the coming years as companies continue to cut safety standards in order to cut costs, so I'm just starting a thread here for when recalls affect stores in our area...

FYI The current ground beef recall includes beef from the Fred Meyer & QFC. Specific dates & details on the Kroger website.

I suspect we will see more & more of these in the coming years as companies continue to cut safety standards in order to cut costs, so I'm just starting a thread here for when recalls affect stores in our area...

FYI The current ground beef recall includes beef from the Fred Meyer & QFC. Specific dates & details on the Kroger website.

It's easy enough just to avoid ground beef in general, but tomatoes? Some places still don't know that there are safe sources and are still avoiding tomatoes altogether, which is annoying.

I never shop at Kroger (it blows), but last night on the way home from work I got a call requesting AA batteries for the Wii remote cobtrols. I was right in front of a Kroger, so I pulled in. At the check out line, the cashier swiped the Kroger card of the man in front of me. The cashier looked at the screen and said, "Our records show that you purchased ground beef here that is part of the recall."

The man looked at the cashier and said, "I already ate it."

There was an uncomfortable silence until I said, "and you're still alive!"

• 12 years later...

Watch your red (and white, and yellow) onions folks. Seems like the 2 lb. mesh bags I've been getting are from Massachusetts, which are safe.

Outbreak Investigation of Salmonella Newport: Red Onions (July 2020)

Thomson International Inc. Conducts Voluntary Recall of Red, Yellow, White, and Sweet Yellow Onions Because of Possible Salmonella Risk

Yeah. Imperfect Foods sent out an email last night telling those of us in NV to toss any onions we'd received from them. And that they would credit our accounts. (woo hoo $.97 back!! 😆)

Salmonella Cases Linked to Onions Increase to Nearly 900

I'm pretty sure none of us eat this stuff, but...

Taylor Farms said Kroger shoppers in Louisiana and Texas should immediately dispose of Taylor Farms’s macaroni salad, rotini pasta salad and chicken salad croissant sandwiches.

Walmart shoppers in Texas should also dispose of chicken salad sandwiches. Walmart shoppers in Colorado, Iowa, Illinois, Kansas, Missouri, North Dakota, Nebraska, Oklahoma and South Dakota should discard Marketside branded diced yellow onion, mirepoix and fajita stir fry.

I was thinking about Costco and wine and how it varies quite a bit from location to location.  Why?  Is it some self-fulfilling formula based on past sales?  Is it someone at each store who picks the wine?  It's claimed that Costco is America's number one wine retailer.  And I admit I do buy a few bottles there regularly.  Isn't there enough really good stuff to go to each store?  Or do some store managers lack taste and are willing to stock lots of Sparrow Hawk?  Based on costcowineblog.com, there seems to be a lot of good wine in Atlanta.  Why not elsewhere?