bloviatrix

Sour Cherries

I bought 2 quarts of sour cherries today with the intention of making preserves. To quote Cole Porter "it's too darn hot" to work in the kitchen tonight so I want to store the cherries. What's the best thing to do? just refrigerate them? pit and freezer? I figure I'll cook them over the week.

Who knows how much cherries you need to make a good quantity of juice....but I bought some organic tart cherry juice (made by "Smart Juice") at D'Agostino yesterday and it is really scrumptious. I like it better than POM (pure pomegranate) and cranberry juice...much less sweet.

Who knows how much cherries you need to make a good quantity of juice....but I bought some organic tart cherry juice (made by "Smart Juice") at D'Agostino yesterday and it is really scrumptious. I like it better than POM (pure pomegranate) and cranberry juice...much less sweet.

i didn't realize they sold a straight cherry juice, i tasted their cherry pomegranate but did not like it at all.

it takes a lot o cherries to make juice. it's also a lot of work because you have to pit the cherries first. a lot of growers sell cherry concentrate. do you want straight juice or will you use sugar and water or tame it with apple or grape juice? straight cherry juice is pretty strong. more often than not what you buy is mixed with apple or white grape juice.

eta: looks like smart juice is made from concentrate

smartjuice

i didn't realize they sold a straight cherry juice, i tasted their cherry pomegranate but did not like it at all.

it takes a lot o cherries to make juice. it's also a lot of work because you have to pit the cherries first. a lot of growers sell cherry concentrate. do you want straight juice or will you use sugar and water or tame it with apple or grape juice? straight cherry juice is pretty strong. more often than not what you buy is mixed with apple or white grape juice.

eta: looks like smart juice is made from concentrate

smartjuice

Yes, it's from concentrate, but no sugar added. POM is from concentrate too, of course.

i'd just buy a pure concentrate from a california or michigan grower. i think fresh cherries just cost too much and witht he concentrate you could have your juice all year round

Buy Red Jacket's cherry stomp (sweet or sour) and forget about juicing your own.

ooh i never noticed they had that. i'm definitely getting me some of that

My ex-pastry chef colleague told me she always pits and freezes her sour cherries as soon as she can because they're so perishable. I did so last night for four quarts-- I'm planning to bring one bag down to the beach house we're going to next week for a pie. This is the first time I've frozen them myself.

Keeping them in the fridge for a day or two ought to be okay, but I'd worry about any longer than that.

My ex-pastry chef colleague told me she always pits and freezes her sour cherries as soon as she can because they're so perishable. I did so last night for four quarts-- I'm planning to bring one bag down to the beach house we're going to next week for a pie. This is the first time I've frozen them myself.

Keeping them in the fridge for a day or two ought to be okay, but I'd worry about any longer than that.

I picked some pie cherries last Wednesday, intending to make jam, and by the time I got home was too tired to do anything with them but stick them in the refrigerator. I worked the next 5 days (12-hour days, so no time for jam-making), and on Tuesday my cherries were fine. About 3% of them were turning, but the rest were as if fresh-picked and my jam turned out really well.

This is what the pastry chef at work does. Freezes them flat in baggies. He makes them into soup.

This is what the pastry chef at work does. Freezes them flat in baggies. He makes them into soup.

2 gallon baggies are your friends

Two quarts have been pitted and are happily sitting in my very crowded freezer. I must give a shout out to Blovie for helping - initially he had the job of de-stemming, but then took over the pitting when the juice started to burn a small cut I didn't know I had on my finger.