I think I might have used Forest - I'll check a label when I get home.

Although I love EZ, I have never attempted one of her patterns. Maybe I'll start small with a Moebius scarf.

If you have someone small to knit for, try the tomten jacket. Great fun to knit and an adorable and useful end-product. I think her designs may work better for children than adults.

clb

• Replies 471
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Has anyone tried to spin and knit with dog hair. We used to have a St. Bernard and a Great Pyranese, and after a while of brusing them and getting mountains of hair I learned to spin on a drop spinner. When I had enough, I made one of those zip up jacket coats with the roll collar for my first granddaughter. It has made it's way down to the youngest. Mixing the two different hairs gave it a really good cold resistance and longevity. I believe my d.i.l just recently gave it to the Goodwill.

If you have someone small to knit for, try the tomten jacket. Great fun to knit and an adorable and useful end-product. I think her designs may work better for children than adults.

clb

That's caught my eye. So cute! Liza's Jack, my favorite 2-legged boy, might have a tomten jacket in his future.

No color name on the Grignasco, just the # 077, which is labeled Greens in several online sources.

Smudgie, my sister would love to knit from her pup's hair but he's a Wheaten and not all that sheddy. I could ship her several pounds of long-haired-cat brushings. :lol:

Could someone tell me more about the Moebius scarf? Also, a friend told me about a scarf that you knit kind of on the bias. You increase at the start of every row and decrease at the end of every row.

Does anyone know about this?

The Moebius scarf is given a half-twist before the ends are sewn together. If you google it, you'll find lots of variations. I can fax you Elizabeth Zimmerman's original pattern, if you like.

I think I've seen a pattern for a bias-knit scarf...I'll riffle through my knitting books this evening.

• 1 month later...
Button bands: pick up and knit after sweater assembly, or knit in as you go along?

Discuss.

RE: Cathy: "Button Bands"

Um, ah, pick up after assembly?

SB (faking it)(not very convincingly either) :)

I've done them both ways. It's a bit of a pain to do initially but, in general, the ones where I've picked up and knit the button band afterwards (knitting perpendicular to the front) looked quite a bit better and held up better afterwards than ones knit with the button band incorporated into the fronts.

Flyfish

Yes, that's the way I'm leaning, Fly. This is a long cardigan (although the yarn - cotton ribbon, actually - is rather light) and I figure a picked-up band will add some needed structure.

Such an effing pain, though.

At least you won't have to knit too many of those very long rows... :)

I used to hate finishing things off, doing button bands, sewing in ends, sewing together etc. but I must be mellowing as I age - I now look forward to that part. It means I survived to finish another item!

Fly

That certainly looks like it would save one a few headaches!

My mom sometimes used to "cheat" and use her sewing machine to put together knitting pieces, especially things with patterned yokes. People always commented on how perfectly she managed to put things together and match patterns. If only they knew her guilty secret!

I'm personally too lazy to pull out my sewing machine :)

Fly

• 7 months later...