brett fav-ruh

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

thoughts on latest folly?

I think he should have called up Dick Vermeil before he decided to retire. Dick made the same mistake when he quit the Rams.

I can understand the Packers wanting some value for him. He's still a playoff caliber QB and rather than giving him his unconditional release they want some draft picks. I read an AP story today that said Farve is worried about not being traded to a contending team. Really, who else would want him? You're not going to rebuild with Brett. He's got a couple of years left and if he was surrounded with a good supporting cast he could take a team deep into the playoffs.

the packers are in a tough spot. if they'd realized 3 years ago that favre was going to hang around this long, they wouldn't have drafted rodgers. now they've had him on the shelf for a while and he really needs to start playing, so they can see what they have. the brett favre "just one more year" saga could continue a while. but they really can't win in this situation. their fan-base and the media are never going to side against saint brett, and they're going to look like jerks if they make him sit. not to mention they'll probably win more with him next year than with rodgers anyway. i think they have to give in or look like the villains. but if they don't, does favre really want to go out wearing some other uniform?

the brett favre "just one more year" saga could continue a while. but they really can't win in this situation. their fan-base and the media are never going to side against saint brett, and they're going to look like jerks if they make him sit. not to mention they'll probably win more with him next year than with rodgers anyway.

I think Farve seems to understand the Packers position about starting Rodgers. He just doesn't want to sit. From the AP article -

Favre told Fox he understood that the Packers want to move on — but he said if they are doing so, they should let him go.

“Them moving on does not bother me,” Favre said. “It doesn’t. I totally understand that. By me retiring March 3, I knew that could possibly happen. All I was saying is, you know, I’m thinking about playing again.”

Assuming Brett gets to start somewhere else I assume he'd smooth over his conflict with packer management and calm the fans down.

Agreed about Rodgers - under Farve they'd win more games this year.

the solution is simple: let favre start, and just give rodgers increasing run as the season goes on. let favre play the last few games as a farewell tour. they won't win as much, but they'll salvage p.r and they'll have a better pick next year.

You think Farve would consent to sharing playing time with Rodgers? I get the feeling that he wants all the snaps.

This will play out over the next couple of weeks. If Farve is going to move on to a new team he'll want to be in training camp so he can learn the new system. The Packers need to do something quickly.

You think Farve would consent to sharing playing time with Rodgers? I get the feeling that he wants all the snaps.

well, he can go into camp thinking that....and get most of them for the first few games. move closer to a 50-50 arrangement by about game 12, and then let him finish out the season with a farewell tour.

well, he can go into camp thinking that....and get most of them for the first few games. move closer to a 50-50 arrangement by about game 12, and then let him finish out the season with a farewell tour.

That plan works well for the Packers but I'm not sure it's what Farve wants. I have a feeling that he can force a trade if he really pushes. The question is if he really wants to play another couple of years with another team or stick around to pass the torch to Rodgers.

The other thing to consider is if Rodgers will develop properly with Brett on the sideline. The first time he has a bad game or, God forbid, a bad series of downs, the crowd will be howling for them to put Farve in. Rodgers will be looking over his shoulder all the time.

Best to ship Farve out of town and honor him in Green Bay later when he finally retires.

Trade Rodgers for a couple of good, strong young protection guys and let Favre lead the team to a playoff spot. If Favre goes down, use whatever backup is left and then use the high draft choice for a quarterback, either by draft (unlikely) or by trade.

Trade Rodgers for a couple of good, strong young protection guys and let Favre lead the team to a playoff spot. If Favre goes down, use whatever backup is left and then use the high draft choice for a quarterback, either by draft (unlikely) or by trade.

I don't think that would work. Rodgers doesn't have much trade value since he's an unproven quantity. Farve never gets hurt so Rodgers hasn't played.

• 3 weeks later...