The Dark Knight

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We have horrible violent gangs taking over our town so why feed us with more ideas/visions of violence?

So I guess you didn't really mean it when you advanced "truth" and "honesty" as criteria.

Yes, of course I did. The point is that we all have a finite amount of time. We are asked to use it wisely rather than foolishly. Just because a particularly awful violence is "pretty" or done in a new amazing technique, doesn't mean I should spend any time looking at it. "Truth" and "honesty" are spiritual abstractions. Art of the soul, so to speak.

Since bullets don't bounce off Batman, why doesn't someone just shoot him (similar to scene in original Indiana Jones) and end the misery?

Superman is the only fictional super hero that makes sense anyway. I just don't get the rest of the imposters.

SPOILER ALERT

Batman does get shot in the film but he's got super duper body armor to keep him going. It's got to be a tight head shot. In terms of relative invulnerability, you are correct about Superman, but that makes him less interesting as I see it. And this Batman is dark and disturbed, not just some goody two shoes with a cape. That also as I (and mongo) see it makes him more interesting and permits more complicated dramatic structure inbetween explosions and deaths.

In terms of relative invulnerability, you are correct about Superman, but that makes him less interesting as I see it.

There's always kryptonite and the wonderous things it can do. And who wants a superhero that can be stopped by a .22?

I walked out of this shaking with anger. Well-acted, beautifully produced garbage.

I don't mind nihilism. It's the manipulative cynicism that pissed me off.

Great performance by Heath Ledger, to no end beyond big box-office bucks.

Hey, Cathy said it all already. That's it.

You guys just think it's manipulative cynicism because it's pop. If this were a film aiming for a fifth of the audience this film had garnered, then you'd say the people who made it were exploring issues. But because it's in a popular form, you immediately think it's cynical manipulation. What about this movie is cynical, exactly? If anything, I'd charge it with being ovely earnest. (The preceding Batman movie certainly was.)

Do you also think pop music can't be serious at the same time it's popular?

(PS -- I don't think this movie is great or anything. And I certainly don't think its treatment of the issues it addresses is particularly deep. I just think it's good. And serious.)

I just want to know what I'm walking into, in a general sort of way. My all-time favorite movie theater experience was the first Batman with Michael Keaton and Jack Nicholson. It was just a once in a lifetime magical afternoon. The first showing at the Arlington, the best large theater in Santa Barbara, not a stupid small screen multiplex. A theater organ rose from the orchestra pit and we were treated to a half hour of movie organ music. The audience was mostly young guys who were the best audience I'd ever seen, laughs, claps, hoots, etc. A fun plot and lots of over-the-top visuals. If I went to Dark Knight expecting the same, I would be furious.

I just want to know what I'm walking into, in a general sort of way. My all-time favorite movie theater experience was the first Batman with Michael Keaton and Jack Nicholson. It was just a once in a lifetime magical afternoon. The first showing at the Arlington, the best large theater in Santa Barbara, not a stupid small screen multiplex. A theater organ rose from the orchestra pit and we were treated to a half hour of movie organ music. The audience was mostly young guys who were the best audience I'd ever seen, laughs, claps, hoots, etc. A fun plot and lots of over-the-top visuals. If I went to Dark Knight expecting the same, I would be furious.

The screening I attended drew lots of couples, most in their 20s and 30s. I have a hard time picturing what a typical 13 year old would make of this thing. I guess he or she would get into the "ride" of the flick, but beyond that???

Sounds like V to me. Of course, I haven't seen it.

There's definitely some V in this depiction of the Joker. And also some Saw.

I really liked The Dark Knight though it was too long (or not long enough) and I highly recommend seeing it in IMAX if you have the opportunity. The film's big setpieces were all filmed specifically for this format and look amazing (not just the size, but also the resolution of the image). You don't often get to hear a collective gasp or "whoa" from an audience but it happens a least twice here.

You don't often get to hear a collective gasp or "whoa" from an audience but it happens a least twice here.

The truck trick? What else?

The opening shot of Gotham City (aka Chicago) for one. Pretty much all the skyline/cityscape stuff is spectacular.