Totonno Pizzeria Napolitano

I cook pizza at home at use San Marzano tomatoes, I use from burratta to regular mozzarella in water, I also use the best ingrediants I can find, i.e OO Flour... However, using a pizza stone can not duplicate what a charcoal oven can do..

My pizza always comes out too crisp.. Where as the pizza from the hotter oven comes out crisp on the outside yet still airy and chewy on the inside.. This as far as I know can;t be done in an oven..

My pizza stiff as a board:

2641258692_0c54900768_m.jpg

Una Pizza's pizza.. Crunchy, soft and airy:

2663154300_3591cbba33_m.jpg

Tottono's: Bendy, crunchy, airy, crispy..

2707736568_e950c4e0f1_m.jpg

Luzzo's the same:

1984289063_d2fe46218f.jpg

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Totonno Pizzeria Napolitano 1524 Neptune Ave (718) 372-8606     Went here today right before the rains came.. It was around 2 pm and there was no wait.. We sat right down and were "greated

After living in NYC for over twenty years-- the last fourteen of them in Brooklyn-- I am ashamed to say that the other night Robin and I went to Totonno's for our first visit ever. Our son Nate was wi

Thank you, Daniel, for this and other write ups with excellent photos. You make a solid contribution to this board. I appreciate your posts.

Hey thanks Monk.. I appreciate that..

our oven is broken and gets much higher than 500 degrees when it's turned all the way up. makes fabulous pizza, so fabulous that i haven't bothered to have it repaired. no doubt it'll explode one of these days but great pizza is worth the risk.

Thats so awesome.. Miss A would kill me.. I have shattered our oven window once already from making pizza and the inside lights a few times..Though she is crazier then me in some respects.. She was the one that wanted to bolt a mini grill to the ac unit that hangs out of our 11th floor window.. I had to step in and nix that one..

I think fairly good pizza can be made at home but on the other hand 'true' Neapolitan Style is extremely difficult to accomplish in a home oven. Mostly because like mentioned above a home oven can't reach the desired temperature.

Interesting indepth topic here. http://slice.seriouseats.com/jvpizza/

This sounds really interesting but I only get to leave a voice mail message and their posted email address comes back as "undeliverable." I have a real antipathy for burned/black spots anywhere on my pizza. Anywhere. Yuk.

I think fairly good pizza can be made at home but on the other hand 'true' Neapolitan Style is extremely difficult to accomplish in a home oven. Mostly because like mentioned above a home oven can't reach the desired temperature.

Interesting indepth topic here. http://slice.seriouseats.com/jvpizza/

This sounds really interesting but I only get to leave a voice mail message and their posted email address comes back as "undeliverable." I have a real antipathy for burned/black spots anywhere on my pizza. Anywhere. Yuk.

Not to get off the topic of TPC but see link below to my Flickr page. Notice the char on these pizzas from Pizzeria Bianco and surprisingly they had no discernable burnt taste. Only a wonderful smoky flavor from the wood oven. On the other hand I once had a square pie at Di Fara's so charred on the bottom that it was not edible. For the record this meal at Pizzeria Bianco stands as one of the most memorable restaurant meals I ever had. It had to be a anomaly as it was one of those meals when the whole package came together perfectly and makes it unforgettable. I'm afraid to go back. :lol:

http://flickr.com/photos/84954050@N00/sets...57600966565712/

Must add, that I always preconceived pizza to be fairly simple to prepare with little technique involved. Since this visit I've done quite a bit of research and concluded making pizza consistently at this level is far more difficult then making Keller's oysters and pearls consistently daily.

• 7 months later...

Apparently this place burned down over the weekend, which is a real loss in my opinion. While I wouldn't say it was the best pizza in Brooklyn it was definitely well worth the subway ride and was one of the better Brooklyn pies (at least that I've had).

Looking at this thread reminded me that I really should get to Pizzeria Bianco sooner rather than later.

• 3 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Totonno's is back and doing a roaring business. We got on line a little before 4:30 and had to wait about 20 minutes for a table to open up (in fairness, it was a beautiful day and there was a Cyclones game in the evening). We got a large pie with mushrooms and peppers + onions. Base large pies are $19.50 and toppings are $2.50 each, but a $24 pie split 3 ways is a cheap dinner and a lot of food. It wasn't the best pizza I've ever had--indeed, some of the crust at the top was burnt--but for an old-fashioned pie it was really good. And I like that the sodas come in little glass bottles.

• 2 years later...