2008 Olympics in Beijing

Ping pong. I wanna see ping pong! And I want the players to wear Speedos!

Question for Wilf: is the Phillips family still in sausages?

• Replies 419
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What's truly disgusting is the NY Times donating at least six pages to these overly-hyped, highly political, multi-biased, anti-sport, anti-amateur games everyday, while giving only two or three pages to real sporting events.

Now see, things like the Olympics remind me that there is a latent sports fan in me (I'm half my dad's genetic material, it had to be in there somewhere). It just isn't interested in group sports, or, generally speaking, in anything that involves getting a ball from here to there. Some of these competitions are extraordinary, though. Like the famous opening credits of The Wide World of Sports: the thrill of victory ... the agony of defeat.

ncaa_a_jones_sq_300.jpg

Lolo Jones.

I don't know what her endorsement prospects are since she did not win a medal. But she has the looks to do well for herself if she can find a way to market it with her athletic skills. I can see her face photographing like a model at certain angles.

Accuse me, if you will, of not taking all this seriously enough, but I was very disappointed by the Brazilian beach volleyball athletes' bums.

I was dissapointed that they didn't give more coverage to men's water polo. They have the hottest bodies.

I've never understood how they get the horses in the pool for the water polo.

Accuse me, if you will, of not taking all this seriously enough, but I was very disappointed by the Brazilian beach volleyball athletes' bums.

I was dissapointed that they didn't give more coverage to men's water polo. They have the hottest bodies.

I've never understood how they get the horses in the pool for the water polo.

Silly: they ride seahorses.

Trash talk backfires

Big poles and big mouths don’t go together. Stuczynski knows that now. Pole vaulting isn’t basketball or boxing. It’s far too graceful of a sport for the kind of trash-talk she doled out before the Beijing Games.

“I hope we do some damage,” she had said, “and, you know, kick some Russian butt.”

Big mistake.

Isinbayeva is Russian but she understands English just fine. The greatest women’s pole vaulter of all time heard Stuczynski’s challenge loud and clear.

“I am not deaf,” she said. “It made me really angry.”

Isinbayeva is not exactly a wallflower. :lol:

totally idiotic to talk trash, we see it over and over again (French swimmers, etc.). But i felt really bad for Stuczynski after seeing her coach reduce her to nothing after she won silver. with cameras recording every bit. has anyone seen it? what a jerk!

But they wear those little hats with the puffy ears and bows under the chin.

which makes them look like oversize babies - i might get more into the sport if i could stop thinking about pacifiers and milk bottles. with all the technology, they can't find something less emasculating than a bow to fasten the caps?

Exactly, nux. Wouldn't Velcro do the job? Does anyone know the function of the ear puffs? Something to do with allowing hearing, but keeping out water, is my guess.

They protect against injury, either from the ball or elbows, fists, etc. They're pretty much the same as wrestling head gear.

Exactly, nux. Wouldn't Velcro do the job? Does anyone know the function of the ear puffs? Something to do with allowing hearing, but keeping out water, is my guess.

They protect against injury, either from the ball or elbows, fists, etc. They're pretty much the same as wrestling head gear.

Exactly. Don't want no cauliflower ears to detract from their beauty.

It also where their numbers are attached, to easily identify teams and players. Since usually their heads are the only parts above the water (and arms, but not always).

Speaking of which, both top-ranked US women's teams, in water polo and softball, got upset today. Softball, especially, was a shocker -- against a team that they had beaten twice already earlier in the week. And wouldn't you know, NBC didn't show the whole game.

But i felt really bad for Stuczynski after seeing her coach reduce her to nothing after she won silver. with cameras recording every bit. has anyone seen it? what a jerk!

Yeah, that was pretty brutal. No hug. No compliments.

But at the same time, what he said kinda made sense. She used a lot of her energy jumping lower heights while Isinbayeva took a nap.