2008 Olympics in Beijing

• Replies 419
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I had missed this little tidbit from earlier in the games.

Yeah, she thanked the President in the jubilation in front of the cameras last night when they won the gold, made me wannah________OOPs, almost veered into politics!!!!!!

Apparently he just brushed the base of her spine with the back of his hand. The shot, however, does look a little, "give it to me daddy" (unintentional as that may be and more because he's so much older and stodgy looking rather her being provacative)

Remember when decathletes were cool?

Once upon a time, no greater authority than King Gustav of Sweden proclaimed Jim Thorpe "the world's greatest athlete" after the Native American superjock won the decathlon in the 1912 Olympic Games in Stockholm. In the middle of the 20th century, decathletes such as Bob Mathias and Rafer Johnson became superstars after winning the gold medal. And who could forget—although, given his recent reality-show foray, we might wish to—Bruce Jenner pounding down the home stretch in Montreal in all of his red-white-and-blue glory?

But in the last few decades, the decathlon has lost its spot as the Olympics' glamour sport. It's now in the middle of the pack, somewhere between synchronized diving and the women's air rifle. Quick, can you name the American who won silver in Athens and is favored to win gold in Beijing? Thought not. His name is Bryan Clay, and despite his presence in a Morgan Freeman-narrated Visa ad, he's pretty far down the list of athletes NBC wants you to care about, behind several beach volleyball players and about 800 gymnasts.

What explains the decathlon's precipitous fall?

Without actually reading this article, can you name the reason? :rolleyes:

I think Triathletes are the new decathletes, and pentathletes. Although I am a curmudgeon, and hate most new Olympic sports, I started thinking the other day about how Triathlons really capture the ancient Greek spirit of being developed in many spheres. In the deca-and hep- tathlons, you are basically only concentrating on 5 or ten sub-skills of track. But in triathlons, athletes are really the fast person in the water, on the land and on wheels. How well-rounded. Unfortunately, to me it still has a taint of self-absorbed fitness fanatics from the 80's, but if someone like the Phelps fellow were to take it up, or someone like Bolt, imagine how far it would bring the sport.

IOC orders investigation into He Kexin's age

This news comes on the heels of another Times report that details the findings of a New York computer security expert who found official Chinese documents that list He's age as 14 years and 220 days. Mike Walker used a Chinese search engine's cache feature to find He's actual date of birth on spreadsheets from a Chinese government website. The spreadsheets were taken down off the site recently and He's name had been removed.

Let 'er rip. :rolleyes:

Horses suspended for doping

The drug test results—positive for capsaicin in each case—were announced Thursday afternoon by the sport’s international governing body.

The horse Camiro, ridden by Tony Andre Hansen, was part of Norway’s bronze-medal team, and the team could lose its medal. The other three horses are Ireland’s Lantinus, ridden by Dennis Lynch; Brazil’s Chupa Chup, ridden by Bernardo Alves; and Germany’s Coster, ridden by Christian Ahlmann.

Jusr remids me that we have seen lots of other champions congratulate their opponents, which seems more in keeping with the Olympic spirit...IOC President criticizes Bolt

How embarassing. Of all the events at this Olympics (and prior to), Rogge chooses a sprinter from a tiny island country to tear into for the sake of making headlines. Talk about fake outrage.

Usain Bolt earned a triple-triple of sprint gold medals and world records today, an unprecedented Olympic feat that elevated him alongside Michael Phelps as the stars of the Beijing Games. With his giant strides, he ran a lighting final bend that set anchor Asafa Powell on the way to a record 37.30 seconds in the 4x100 metres, chopping a massive .30 off the mark the United States had held for 16 years. 'Go Asafa!' Bolt shouted after handing over the baton, pointing Powell in the direction of a golden record.
Wow!