2008 Olympics in Beijing

• Replies 419
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I like watching sports that don't get covered except at the Olympics. The popular stuff like track & field, swimming, diving, gymnastics, etc. But other stuff too, like archery, equestrian, fencing, rowing, wrestling. It's great to see people at their top physical peak, doing it for the love of the sport rather than fame and fortune. And in general, I like watching a healthy competitive spirit with a genuine camaraderie with athletes of other nations. There is such a thing as the Olympic spirit.

I admit I'm less interested in sports that get regular coverage, especially if there are famous professionals in it, like tennis, basketball, beach volleyball.

Watching the trials, I'm getting to know some of the personalities in some of the sports, which makes it much more fun to watch. I think the comprehensive coverage on a number of different channels will make it easier to avoid some of the rah-rah aspects.

couldn't agree more. all this is what i love about the olympics. and competition on this level can be really fascinating

Does anybody know what the schedule for these games is? It's just beginning to dawn on me that it's coming right up.

Since we're going to be off the grid for the last 2 weeks of August, I think I'm going to miss all the track & field stuff, right?

ETA: OK I can google. Here's a peculiar version of the schedule - http://en.beijing2008.cn/schedule/

It's a bit incomprehensible, but it looks liek we're going to miss the majority of the finals in just about everything apart from fencing & weights. Whoopdedoo.

I like watching sports that don't get covered except at the Olympics. The popular stuff like track & field, swimming, diving, gymnastics, etc. But other stuff too, like archery, equestrian, fencing, rowing, wrestling. It's great to see people at their top physical peak, doing it for the love of the sport rather than fame and fortune. And in general, I like watching a healthy competitive spirit with a genuine camaraderie with athletes of other nations. There is such a thing as the Olympic spirit.

I admit I'm less interested in sports that get regular coverage, especially if there are famous professionals in it, like tennis, basketball, beach volleyball.

Watching the trials, I'm getting to know some of the personalities in some of the sports, which makes it much more fun to watch. I think the comprehensive coverage on a number of different channels will make it easier to avoid some of the rah-rah aspects.

couldn't agree more. all this is what i love about the olympics. and competition on this level can be really fascinating

That's how I've felt about it in the past, and by this time, I would have been familiar with the top contenders, but this year it's different. Maybe by Friday I will have worked up some enthusiasm.

I am really sorry that gymnast Paul Hamm will not be competing.

Olympics, through the prism of male bodies :lol:

Are there other reasons to watch?

Women's volleyball?

There was a female Dutch diver about 12 years ago that had quite a following too.

Jongejans, or something like that. When she dove, there was spectacular flip of blonde hair whipping around. She didn't do too well,but did end up with a modeling contract, I think...

UK coverage tends to be quite good because the UK is crap at sports; it reduces the flag waving quite a bit when you have no one in the final. There's also less of the heartwarming shit about athletes overcoming adversity.

You're a silver lining type of guy.

Actually, I agree with Dr. J. We watched some of the BBC coverage of the Sydney Olympics and really enjoyed the lack of "all-USA-all-the-time" boosterism. FWIW, the Brits had a strong rowing team and they got pretty psyched about it that but that was only time they were rah-rah.

UK coverage tends to be quite good because the UK is crap at sports; it reduces the flag waving quite a bit when you have no one in the final. There's also less of the heartwarming shit about athletes overcoming adversity.

You're a silver lining type of guy.

Actually, I agree with Dr. J. We watched some of the BBC coverage of the Sydney Olympics and really enjoyed the lack of "all-USA-all-the-time" boosterism. FWIW, the Brits had a strong rowing team and they got pretty psyched about it that but that was only time they were rah-rah.

When the UK has got someone good the BBC can be as jingoistic as anyone, but it doesn't happen that often. They were probably going ape over Stephen Redgrave who won rowing gold medals in five consecutive olympics.

Beijing Olympic Stadium

My husband seems to think that the Olympic Bird's Nest Stadium resembles nothing so much as a hospital bedpan ...

anyone else see the resemblance? :unsure:

NPR had a piece on the venue for the equestrian events which will be held in the exclusive Hong Kong Sports Institute and Penfold Park in Shatin:

The facilities include an air-conditioned building which will work as competition management headquarters, VIP reception area, and accommodation for the athletes. New stables have been constructed having four blocks of air-conditioned accommodation for up to 200 horses. Warm-up facilities for the horses are also available. All modern methods and techniques for waste recycling, combating the bad weather, energy conservation and environment preservation have been used.

For cooling the Olympic horses after training or competition, four equine cooling stations, including misting tents and plentiful supplies of chilled water, are located around the venue. Mobile cooling units, another unique feature, are also available.

This venue

I used to love the Olympics, but this year I have hardly any interest. An Olympic competition every two years is twice as much as we need.

I strongly agree. I HATE it that they changed the Winter Olympics from being in the same year as the Summer to being on the alternating second year.

Does anybody know what the schedule for these games is? It's just beginning to dawn on me that it's coming right up.

Since we're going to be off the grid for the last 2 weeks of August, I think I'm going to miss all the track & field stuff, right?

ETA: OK I can google. Here's a peculiar version of the schedule - http://en.beijing2008.cn/schedule/

It's a bit incomprehensible, but it looks liek we're going to miss the majority of the finals in just about everything apart from fencing & weights. Whoopdedoo.

The Times has a nice little app for the schedule.

You can get the TV schedule here.

It gets more confusing - the closing ceremonies take place 22 hours before the games begin and just 12 minutes after they end.

I wonder when the last time amateurs competed in the Olympics - 1916?