i've just bought a wifi radio i.e. the radio signal comes in over the internet. It's a fair distance from my router, although when my Mac or PC are sitting in the same location as the radio, they pick up the signal no prob. The radio however keeps losing the signal.

For various technical reasons I can't move the router or the radio. So I need to boost my signal. I've currently got one of these. Does anyone know of a good, reliable way to increase my signal. Should I look to buy a new router, or can I just buy an antenna for the existing router.

I was looking at one of these which says that it has the same range as the one above, but with clever ways of overcoming interference. Is this all hyperbole or does it work?

TIA

are there any elements between the two which would interfere with the signal, or bounce it elsewhere? These could include aluminum siding on a house, metal lath in plastered walls, metal water or drain pipes, a filing cabinet, a thick floor, etc.

In some cases, if you can move the router just a few feet, especially away from a wall, you can get the signal around the obstacle. There's also a device which serves as an ethernet extension cable, which relocates your connection point

i've just bought a wifi radio i.e. the radio signal comes in over the internet. It's a fair distance from my router, although when my Mac or PC are sitting in the same location as the radio, they pick up the signal no prob. The radio however keeps losing the signal.

For various technical reasons I can't move the router or the radio. So I need to boost my signal. I've currently got one of these. Does anyone know of a good, reliable way to increase my signal. Should I look to buy a new router, or can I just buy an antenna for the existing router.

I was looking at one of these which says that it has the same range as the one above, but with clever ways of overcoming interference. Is this all hyperbole or does it work?

TIA

It depends on the quality of the 802.11g transceiver in the wifi radio. If its not as powerful as your mac or pc, then you are going to have issues especially when dealing with thick walls.

I had similar problems before I moved all my wireless equipment to 802.11N. It improved reception on all my devices, including the 802.11G stuff, because its a MIMO router. However you'll get better performance obviously by moving all your devices to 802.11N. I bought cheap 802.11N "Game Adapters" that plug into the ethernet ports to enable my PCs and consumer electronics equipment to use it.

Thanks one and all. I ended up moving the radio, seemed the only option and it works fine.

I'm going to check out one of those Rangemax's though

Someone recommended setting the channel on my router to something other than "1." Naturally, being a fan of Spinal Tap, I chose "11." This helped a LOT. I also set the router with the antenna up, and that helped as well.

Simple options that worked.

Thanks for all that advice. I didn't know about the height thing but will give that a go for an extra boost. I've already changed channel once. And I'm going to look into the game adapters, that's very interesting, especially as the radio doesn't have USB, so dongles are out of the question. Although, as I said above, it's working fine now I've moved it.

Nonetheless, I'm still interested in the super duper new Netgear offering, it looks quite tasty.