Sign in to follow this  
bloviatrix

Kohlrabi

I bought a bunch from Paffenroth since I see them all over and I've never tried them. But I have no idea what to do with them - despite my 200+ cookbooks.

Help!!

Cook the (I think it's a) rhizome and the greens separately. Peel the bulb, cut into cubes and steam them, them. Set aside. Proceed with the greens as you would for creamed spinach. Fold the cubes into the cubed spinach.

The bulbous part can also be eaten raw, if peeled and sliced very thinly, as a dipper, or tossed into salad.

Oh thank you. I have been meaning to start a thread about this.

Last week I made a salad of raw, thinly slice kohlrabi and I loved it. With fresh sliced fennel, parsley, chives, lemon juice and olive oil. I want to cook some, and I think I'm going to try to sautee it in butter and make a gratin.

I also used a thin slice as a garnish for a cold borscht. I used the white with reddish outside kind, so the cross section was very pretty on the red soup.

It's like uber-cabbage in terms of digestion, so just bear that in mind.

peel and cube them the size of peas. chop the greens fine. heat some oil, add cumin seeds, stir it around, add a pinch of turmeric, and immediately the prepared vegetable. salt. cover and steam, adding sprinkling of water as needed. when tender stir fry till moisture is gone and the oil is a glaze.

you can add peas to it as well. sometimes i add fresh grated (and frozen) coconut to it in the end. thaw coconut first.

it can also be cooked with yellow split peas like dal. season similarly - cumin seeds, perhaps garlic, cilantro.

Peel, parboil like a potato, cut into slices, make a parmesan or cheddar cheese sauce with bechamel, sprinkle fresh herbs or other chives, season, layer slices, bake in casserole. You can roast them too.

So many good things to do with kohlrabi.

From Vienna, gratineed with veal stock, cream, egg yolk and garlic.

From Germany, sliced, parboiled, breaded and fried as a schnitzel; shredded and served with an onion-parsley sauce; or stuffed with chopped aromatic vegetables, smoked ham, herbs and breadcrumbs.

From Hungary, diced and simmered in a chicken soup (Kalarábéleves) enriched with an einbrenn (roux); or stuffed in a more elaborate version (Töltött Kalarábé) with onions, garlic, ground veal & pork, rice, parsley, paprika, marjoram and eggs, and served with a cream sauce.

From Transylvania (courtesy of Paul Kovi), with sauteed with cut-up chicken and dill, paprika, garlic and sour cream (Pui cu Gulii); or served with egg barley (tarhonya) as Kalarábé Tarhonyával, or "layered from the Nyárád" (a village north of Balaton), casserole-syle, with diced beef and rice and sour cream; or stuffed with calf's brains (VelÅ‘vel Töltött Kalarábé) or mushrooms (Kalarábé Gombával Töltve).

From the Savoie (courtesy of Madeleine Kamman), a simple fricasee with blanched thin-sliced kohlrabi lightly browned in hot butter and seasoned with ground caraway, or glazed with a pinch of sugar and some chicken stock and parsley. Also cooked and sliced in a salad with plenty of chopped dill, dressed with caraway vinegar, sour cream, mustard, walnut oil and more chopped dill and served over a bed of mixed red and green lettuces.

In the Kitchen Garden Cookbook, Sylvia Thompson proposes a "Delicate Kohlrabi and Tomato Salad": thinly shredded, tossed with olive oil & lemon juice and blended with chopped ripe tomatoes and summer savory.

In the Farmhouse Cookbook, Susan Herrmann Loomis has a Marinated Summer Salad with matchsticked raw kohlrabi and yellow patty-pan squash and thin-sliced baby turnips marinated for a 1/2 hour in a mustard-garlic vinaigrette and chopped fresh dill.

From Jack Bishop (Vegetables Every Day), shredded, sauteed in butter and tossed with grated Parmesan, or diced, tossed with whole peeled garlic and olive oil, and roasted for 1/2 hour at 450.

Finally, from Elizabth Schneider (Amaranth>Zucchini), shredded and sauteed with ginger and shallots or with bacon and caraway; or in "Crisp Peppery Kohlrabi-Carrot Slaw with Dill and Anise", or diced and sauteed "balsamic-tinged". Schneider also mentions a salad with "Mary's Prize Dressing" (maple syrup, cider vinegar, canola oil, dry mustard and poppy seeds, tossed with coarsely shredded kohlrabi and sectioned navel oranges); in a Vietnamese salad (julienned with carrots, salted for 15 mins. and squeezed out and mixed with white vinegar, sugar, ground hot pepper, chopped mint/cilantro/roasted peanuts); in an Indian-inflected tomato and chick pea soup; and even in Swedish meatballs (with peeled tiny kohlrabis simmered in the sauce for the last 20 mins.).

from poland - summer soup of cubed vegetables like carrots plus chopped leaves. a touch of cream at the end, if you like. kohlrabi pairs with carrot very well, makes a nice side dish (cubed vegetables, a little butter)

when young, it's delicious raw

i've never seen it paired with caraway, will have to try it

Came here looking for suggestions for dill. Staying to make a simple kohlrabi suggestion:

Peel and slice thin (mandoline works best). Slice potatoes the same thickness--I used NY 150s, which have flesh close to russets, but a thin skin like a boiling potato; didn't peel, but YMMV. Alternate layers of potato and kohlrabi in a buttered baking dish, sprinkling each layer with S&P and nutmeg, and the potatoes with a tiny bit of garlic. Pour in heavy cream. Cover with foil and bake much longer at 325ºF than you think you need to (I did for between 90 minutes and 1 hour, iirc). Uncover and broil the top to brown, if you want. The kohlrabi kept some texture, which made a nice contrast. And the whole thing was still good reheated a few days later.

Well, yeah, that makes almost anything better. The stuff I buy is not really rich enough, but at least it's fresh, and is not ultrapasteurized.