omnivorette

vegetable use-up

Oh no Pim, you got it all wrong. I'm upstate in Rensselaer County.

Anyway no there is no local food bank, the churches around here collect food but they don't take fresh produce. Only dried and canned goods.

You could change all that...

• Like 1

All the more reason to create a local fresh food bank, all of that surplus going to waste.

Okay people, you want to turn this into a thread about what I should be doing in upstate New York to help the community? Great idea. :rolleyes:

How about we discuss ways to prepare lots of vegetables.

I thought one of the gazpachos I made today was too fibrous, probably because I put some leftover sauteed swiss chard greens in. So I put the whole thing through a not-so-fine sieve, and ended up with a thick sort of borscht liquid that's delicious. Ate a bowl with chopped chives, chopped cucumbers, dill, a spoon of sour cream. With good bread spread with my own butter.

Maybe just the right bug in the right ear and you won't have to actually do anything besides provide the vegetables.... :) A letter to the editor wondering if someone already does such a thing might prompt the right neighborhood do-gooder group to come forward and actually do some good.

It's either that or start your CSA and just leave boxes anonymously on people's doorsteps. Just don't get shot doing it.

Vermont's Food Bank network does take fresh vegetables. They've started an initiative called “Plant an Extra Row” – you can either plant extra in your garden or, like most of us, just donate the surplus.

It may look like everyone is growing vegetables there, Omni – one might think the same here. But for the poorest families, and I know there are some in your area, gardening just isn't economically possible.

Not to rain on your parade or anything.

I think I'll start a new thread about cooking and eating vegetables. You guys can carry on discussing food banks and other things you think I should be doing. Then we can start a thread where everybody tells everybody how they should be spending their time and what they should be doing more or differently for their respective communities, based on no information.

well, it is a way to use up vegetables you're drowning in. no need to get so defensive. you did make it sound like you had more vegetables than you could cope with.

I am drowning in vegetables. Not that this is a bad thing mind you.

Anyway this morning I used up a bunch of borderline stuff and made a big pot of ratatouille.

Keep the ideas coming...I am drowning in cucumbers and broccoli especially (from our garden).

Zucchini gratin sounds wonderful, but I do happen to own one of those "too much zucchini" cookbooks. It's at home. I'll peruse when I'm done counting beans and get back to you. I seem to recall it bailing me out one particularly good season.

I seem to recall being told that shredded zucchini freezes really well for future use. I've never tried it, though. I wonder could you freeze aqua fresca made from the cucumbers?

I might have missed it, but did you try the aqua fresca with the homemade seltzer???

Not yet, but I will. We have a lot of visitors coming in the next couple of weeks, so many beverages and foods will be prepared and consumed.