vegetable use-up

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I am drowning in vegetables. Not that this is a bad thing mind you.   Anyway this morning I used up a bunch of borderline stuff and made a big pot of ratatouille.   Keep the ideas coming...I am

You could change all that...

Peel, halve, seed, slice into crescents, purge, and sauté in butter. (I've never actually tried it, but what could be bad?)

Grate, purge, and make tzatziki.

Seed and blend with buttermilk for a chilled soup. (This might have already been suggested.)

Sorry, I've never seen anything about freezing them.

Peel, halve, seed, slice into crescents, purge, and sauté in butter. (I've never actually tried it, but what could be bad?)

Grate, purge, and make tzatziki.

Seed and blend with buttermilk for a chilled soup. (This might have already been suggested.)

Sorry, I've never seen anything about freezing them.

Tzatziki definitely good idea. Israeli/Greek salads.

Cucumber Sandwich tea party.

Well, you can always make pickles too.. Apparently, one of these Brooklyn Pickle people sold me a jar that contained exactly 8 pickle halves for 11 dollars.. I kid you not, 4 whole pickles for 11 dollars..

We have a bunch of cucumbers ourselves.. actually, one plant has jumped out of your raised bed, walked across the garden and is climbing a fence.. It has about 7 huge cucumbers on it.. The other day, we added one of them to a morning juice we made.. Apple, cucumber, spinach, lemon, or something.. it was really nice.. And there are all these liver helping cucumber juice recipes online..

We eat a LOT of cukes in the summer.

- Asian style smashed cucumber salad: crush with the flat part of a knife, cut into big chunks, salt for 15-30 mins and drain, then add rice vinegar, sugar, light soy, sesame oil and a little sambal oelek & fresh cilantro.

- Or, just slice thinly, salt & drain, then add rice wine vinegar and sesame oil

- I want to try the cucumber Agua Fresca thing Rancho wrote about on the dinner thread

- wrap in pita with some labneh, salt and pepper

- or in a pita with feta/bulgarian cheese

- lots of variations on cucumber/buttermilk or yoghurt soup themes...

I've also seen but not tried a bunch of recipes for stir fries and curries. (With 90 degree heat and no air-conditioning, right now I am averse to the concept of cooking in general.) There is a Lebanese one as well where you cook them in a yogurt, garlic and dried mint sauce, eat with rice or coarse bulgar.

from the RG Newsletter:

Chicken, Cucumber and Bean Salad

Serves 4 as a side dish, two as a main course

Ingredients:

2 chicken breasts, poached and hand shredded

(If you have leftover chicken of any cut, by all means use it instead)

½ Iceberg lettuce, sliced thinly

1 medium cucumber, peeled and cubed

2 medium tomatoes, cubed

¼ red onion, sliced thin

1 serrano chiles, minced (or to taste)

1 cup Arikara, Mayocoba, Flageolet or other good salad bean

1 teaspoon Rancho Gordo Oregano Indio

Extra Virgin Olive oil

Salt to taste

Gently toss all ingredients together. Add just enough oil to cover lettuce.

Notes: You can try the salad with darker lettuces if you like but the iceberg is oddly refreshing and nostalgic. The chiles can be eliminated and traditional oregano can be substituted if you want to try a more European version.

Tzatziki is an excellent idea, but also think about juicing the cucumbers and freezing the juice in ice trays. One cube in a g&t makes a very fine drink. Garnish with a slice of cucumber of course.

Tzatziki is an excellent idea, but also think about juicing the cucumbers and freezing the juice in ice trays. One cube in a g&t makes a very fine drink. Garnish with a slice of cucumber of course.

Excellent idea. Even better with Pimm's.

cucumber juice With Gin and tomato water. Kinda like make your own Hendrick's.

FYI a bartender pal has just whispered to me that if you want to freeze cucumber water/juice for ice cubes it is best to dilute it with an equal amount of water, 'freezes better, makes nicer cubes'.