The Bruni Thread

Guest Aaron T

The Cipriani review was a waste of space too - more so, even. The Four Seasons review, as I said earlier, was an overdue take down, based on the food.

In that case, why not Harry Cipriani? It was carrying two stars from Bryan Miller.

That is a very good reason. One thing I've learnt from this discussion is that some people have amazing command of historic Times restaurant rankings!

one thing about these sorts of discussions on egullet is that Leonard Kim has the complete database at his fingertips and crunches the numbers in all sorts of ways (which is why we now know there's no such thing as a traditional pattern that Bruni is deviating from)

• Replies 7.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

why will Dovetail get a full review while BLT Market (so far...though it could still get a full review) doesn't?

cause Dovetail being on the UWS makes a review necessary.

There may be an important point lurking there, but Dovetail is a bad example. That restaurant would be reviewed no matter where in town it was located (entrées in the $30s, chef previously earned two stars at another place).

Bruni apparently decided to ignore BLT Market (a bad call on his part) because he thought it was just another outpost in a chain. Had Tourondel called it simply "Market", I think it would have been reviewed.

ok...why did Compass get multiple reviews?

because it was (presumably) the best restaurant on the UWS

What's missing here is that the choices for reviews are also affected by Bruni's (or whatever reviewer's) subjective opinions and perspectives.

See, once again, his comments on the star system that I posted above.

how are we missing that? it's a given.

one thing about these sorts of discussions on egullet is that Leonard Kim has the complete database at his fingertips and crunches the numbers in all sorts of ways (which is why we now know there's no such thing as a traditional pattern that Bruni is deviating from)

Oh, I think there is. The pattern just isn't as "absolute" as some people make it out to be. There's very little doubt in my mind that Bruni has venerated the casual to an extent none of his immediate predecessors did. This is one of many things Leonard Kim admits he cannot track, because there is no measurement for it.

Did someone on eGullet claim there was?

It got reviewed the first time because it was brand new.

It got reviewed the second time because a well known celebrity chef (Katy Sparks) joined the kitchen.

The third review may well have been a coincidence. Bruni lives on the UWS. One day he found himself hungry and without a reservation. He wandered into Compass because he knew he could get in, and he was surprised at how good it was. (I'm paraphrasing, but that's basically what he said.) Katy Sparks was long gone by then.

There have been other Bruni reviews in other neighborhoods that seemed like that—he just wandered in one day and was pleasantly surprised.

Oh, I think there is. The pattern just isn't as "absolute" as some people make it out to be. There's very little doubt in my mind that Bruni has venerated the casual to an extent none of his immediate predecessors did. This is one of many things Leonard Kim admits he cannot track, because there is no measurement for it.

as I said before, Bruni has deviated from his immediate predecessor...(he's arguably more conservative then Reichl though)...but that's the problem...people perceive Grimes as the model (though he still had his Bruni-esque moments)

its an implicit criticism that shows up everywhere...especially here.

Because the chef and menu kept changing.

why did it get reviewed in the first place?

Compass would have gotten its first review no matter what neighborhood it opened in.

It's SUBJECTIVE to a large extent.

It's SUBJECTIVE to a large extent.

that's what he said.

its an implicit criticism that shows up everywhere...especially here.

I certainly don't have a position on the question. I just criticise what's in front of me. I honestly don't know what pattern Bryan Miller or Mimi Sheraton followed, let alone Raymond Sokolov.

Because the chef and menu kept changing.

why did it get reviewed in the first place?

Compass would have gotten its first review no matter what neighborhood it opened in.

why? there are plenty of restaurants at that price point and level of ambition that don't get reviewed. midtown is absolutely riddled with them.