The Bruni Thread

Guest Aaron T

I remembered the Monkey Bar in Dining Briefs or Journal. so? more than one restaurant has been mentioned there and then reviewed later. the point is, they were ambitious, expensive and haven't been reviewed.

And the relevant notes by Bruni explain why.

Park Blue - ambitious? menu

• Replies 7.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

right. they're cookie-cutter places. but they're expensive and they use fancy ingredients and names. so if you're y...they should be reviewed. they're restaurants after all.

I'm not sure any more what point you're trying to prove. Bruni doesn't review every "reviewable" restaurant. We know that. I'm sure there are UWS restaurants he has skipped.

Your original statement was:

why will Dovetail get a full review while BLT Market (so far...though it could still get a full review) doesn't?

cause Dovetail being on the UWS makes a review necessary.

I don't see how any of your comments have demonstrated this to be true. Maybe Dovetail will be reviewed because it's good. How could your observation ever be proved true, short of Bruni saying, "I wouldn't ordinarily have reviewed this, except that it is located on the Upper West Side"?

Didn't Bruni make it clear in his "Dining Briefs" dismissal that he didn't review BLT Market because he's sick of the whole BLT enterprise?

(NOTE: I agree with Nathan that Dovetail may well be getting a "UWS Boost" in its reviews. I'm only disagreeing about the decision to review it at all.)

Didn't Bruni make it clear in his "Dining Briefs" dismissal that he didn't review BLT Market because he's sick of the whole BLT enterprise?

Yes indeed. In my view, if Bruni files a blog post or "dining brief" that explains his lack of enthusiasm, then we need not look for a deeper explanation for why he didn't review it. That doesn't mean he got it right, only that his reasons—such as they are—don't require any further speculation.

(NOTE: I agree with Nathan that Dovetail may well be getting a "UWS Boost" in its reviews. I'm only disagreeing about the decision to review it at all.)

True, but they're also consistent with it being, quite simply, a very good restaurant. The only review so far that really raises eyebrows with me is Adam Platt's three-bagger. It was so far out of character for him that one is tempted to seek other explanations. Still, it might just be that good. I have a reservation in a couple of weeks, and I'm looking forward to it.

That's true, but it makes no sense to compare Gordon Ramsay and Blue Ribbon Sushi, either (both reviewed by Bruni in the last year or so). It's not as if 2nd Avenue Deli just suddenly broke the system. The stars are never comparable, except when looking at similar restaurants.

once again, is Craftsteak a steakhouse or a restaurant?

is Ssam Bar a restaurant?

One can, of course, differ on whether a particular place is a "proper restaurant" or not. But it does not follow that the distinction does not exist.

Two points.

Traditionally (and with exceptions) the starred reviews have been reserved for a certain type of restaurant -- those with relatively formal service, a longish wine list and somewhere you'd spend a couple of hours over a full meal.

This simply isn't true. Not unless by "exceptions" you mean "a large minority of every critic's ouvre"

Pre-Bruni I would have guessed somewhere in the 5% range -- a couple of restaurants a year. Not very significant.

I remembered the Monkey Bar in Dining Briefs or Journal. so? more than one restaurant has been mentioned there and then reviewed later. the point is, they were ambitious, expensive and haven't been reviewed.

And the relevant notes by Bruni explain why.

Park Blue - ambitious? menu

It may not be ambitious, but for true late night dining in that neighborhood it is an oasis. (or at least it was when I last dined there 2 years ago)

I thought some had interpreted Yvonne as saying that the Times should only review restaurants which are clear contenders for the highest rating (hence cries of elitism). I think she was in fact saying that they should only review restaurants which are contenders to be rated somewhere on the four star scale.

Maybe I am making it all more confusing.

Yes, I agree that that's what Yvonne said. My question is: what disqualifies the 2nd Avenue Deli? The perception that the NYT critic historically reviews only sit-down places with wine lists just ain't so.

But most of their reviews are of sit-down places with wine lists and that, IMO, is as it should be. There are lots of different types of restaurant that one goes to on different occasions and for different reasons. It makes no sense to me to use the same instrument to rate them all.

I thought some had interpreted Yvonne as saying that the Times should only review restaurants which are clear contenders for the highest rating (hence cries of elitism). I think she was in fact saying that they should only review restaurants which are contenders to be rated somewhere on the four star scale.

Maybe I am making it all more confusing.

Yes, I agree that that's what Yvonne said. My question is: what disqualifies the 2nd Avenue Deli? The perception that the NYT critic historically reviews only sit-down places with wine lists just ain't so.

But most of their reviews are of sit-down places with wine lists

and so are virtually all of Bruni's.

But that's not really what g.johnson means by "sit down". He is using it figuratively. You can sit down a Shake Shack, you can sit down at McDonalds, but that's not what he means by a "sit down" place. I bet.

By "sit down place with a wine list" he means...you know...a restaurant. Not a diner. Oops, deli.