Liquid diet menu help

A friend of mine just had his jaw surgically broken and reset and it is now wired shut for the next 6 weeks. He is on a liquid only diet. It can be thick liquids (he drink milkshakes), but non-liquid soft foods like mashed potatoes are out.

I would really like to make him dinner - any suggestions? Probably two soup courses - a broth soup to start and then a thicker potato/cream based soup so it would be really filling. Maybe something like a cheese soup.

Dessert can be a milkshake but he gets that all the time. Maybe a series of liquid goodness, like a fruit puree and a creme anglais. Don't know if something like panna cotta so too thick.

Anything you make that is liquidy? That could easily be pureed?

Hmm...the first thing that came to my mind was Ensure and V8 juices. But, that'll get old fast. One thing that popped into mind was cauliflower cheese soup and all the various "cream of" soups. Oh, and some Yakult/Biofeel/yogurt type drinks for the beneficial bacteria.

When I get home, I'll ponder this some more. It's probably a good thing to know...

Nut milks (Korean ones have a lot of different kinds of nuts and seeds mixed in, sold pre-ground), any number of pureed French soups (I'd crave something salty, hot and substantial), and yogurt and fruit smoothies.

Does anyone have the full deck here to know what's going on? Does the person wish to use this time to lose weight or gain weight? Google liquid diet weight gain and you get a whole different picture. I went ballistic when a dentist tried to pull this crap on my son. This goes right into the museum with prefrontal lobotomies and shock treatments. Notice, they never, ever, elect to perform this on people without money. There is no charity funding this work. I feel awful for your friend.

You're right. I apologize. I am neither a dentist or physician and therefore should not be making any judgments concerning this case. It is especially wrong of me to say anything after the deed has been done. My main reason for asking about weight gain/loss was that I was trying for a positive outcome. When the jaw breaking/resetting/wired shut thing was suggested for my son for better tooth alignment, he was way too skinny and borderline malnourished and the whole thing might've damaged his health further. And the treatment was a popular fad back then. You hardly see it done anymore. I was erroneously projecting my own experience and prejudices here. :blush:

sorry - I think I threw you off with the word "diet." For medical reasons he (an adult, not a child) had his jaw broken. The liquid diet is only because he is unable to eat solid foods. And I'm just trying to throw him 1 meal because he can't really go out for anything that involves food for 6 weeks.

Horchata is a great idea to start off. Or maybe a mango lassi.

The cauliflower cheese soup is exactly what I was thinking although I was thinking broccoli. :) I have to check to see if those little bits of broccoli that are always left will be problematic but I think not because you don't need to chew them.

How does the poor guy keep his gums and teeth clean? I think a chinoise is important here so that no food bits stick around in his mouth.

I am interested in this thread because my dentist has been telling me for years to have this done. I am not keen because I know two people who have had it done and they both reported agony when sneezing, and I am allergic to a lot of stuff and sneeze a lot, even with antihistamines. I have managed to reach an advanced age without my jaw misalignment causing me undue distress, but he sees trouble down the road. Or a wealthier retirement.

On the brighter side I would also gradually weight but instantly lose a couple of chins... :)