Social networking on the web

• Replies 191
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Negatives

How do you turn down a request for friendship?

ruthlessly.

it is very anachronistic of me, i know, but for the most part i only have people in my friends list who are friends.

and you can set your privacy settings to control which of your "actions" go into your news-feed. one thing i don't like is that if a friend comments on a photo you've uploaded that action is displayed in their news-feed and your photo album gets linked and becomes visible to all their friends. these people can't comment on your photos but they can see them.

Negatives

ruthlessly.

it is very anachronistic of me, i know, but for the most part i only have people in my friends list who are friends.

and you can set your privacy settings to control which of your "actions" go into your news-feed. one thing i don't like is that if a friend comments on a photo you've uploaded that action is displayed in their news-feed and your photo album gets linked and becomes visible to all their friends. these people can't comment on your photos but they can see them.

I guess you need to be smart about it, just like here. I've said before, I forget this a public forum sometimes. There are certain things that shouldn't be her or on facebook, I guess.

I accepted one "friend" who I didn't know although we had friends in common and sent her a note asking how we know each other. I'm curious how she'll answer. But her, Eydie Gorme and Tom Waits are my only non real friends. And it's neat seeing all these relationships on one page.

Negatives

ruthlessly.

I actually started in FB with a personally imposed rule that I would only be friends with people I know in "meat life." Unlike in MySpace (which I hardly ever visit) where I seem to have become friends with Bruce Springsteen.

However, I realize now that I feel closer to some of my virtual friends (including some Mouthfullers) than I do to many of the people I knew in high school...* and certainly would be more interested in spending an evening with them than with some people I used to know.

(*Lest anybody think that a small-town Canadian girl could not possibly have known many people in high school, my graduating class had over 700 people)

Negatives

ruthlessly.

I actually started in FB with a personally imposed rule that I would only be friends with people I know in "meat life." Unlike in MySpace (which I hardly ever visit) where I seem to have become friends with Bruce Springsteen.

However, I realize now that I feel closer to some of my virtual friends (including some Mouthfullers) than I do to many of the people I knew in high school...* and certainly would be more interested in spending an evening with them than with some people I used to know.

(*Lest anybody think that a small-town Canadian girl could not possibly have known many people in high school, my graduating class had over 700 people)

but 500 of the class were made out of back bacon in beer can casings with faces painted on. don't shine us on, fly

Negatives

ruthlessly.

friends does not rule out online friends.

Negatives

ruthlessly.

How many last names though? ;)