Social networking on the web

• Replies 191
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

From a friend's 12 year old son:

facebook is myspace for old people.

And we all know that 12 yr olds know *everything* :lol:

Facebook was originally aimed at college students. Someone college aged is "old" to a 12 yr old.

Social apps grow, change and evolve over time. No one definition will stick for long. But sites like Facebook & LinkedIn are primarily about networking, whether the goal be work or social. I've always thought LinkedIn is more about work, Facebook is more social.

• 2 months later...
has anybody heard about well.com?

From another San Francisco local whom I know belongs and encouraged me to join, "It's one of the most amazing and intelligent groups of folks I've ever seen. It's basically a series of discussions that range from astro-physics to fashion to progressive politics to AM radio and everything in between. It's a great place to practice your "conversation" chops, to get expert advice and to spend time people (both local and world wide) who are genuinely excited about!"

I tried to tell 'em that MF was roughly the same! :lol:

The Well was a seminal player in the world of online communities. I was a member when i got my first modem and it was all telnet or something ugly. It was pre-www. I sort of liked it but found it pretentious and precious and finally left once I discovered mailing lists.

The reason i asked: For Conversations, No Place Like The Well.

Neither the blogosphere nor Web 2.0 social networking services provide the kind of intellectual community that drives innovation, according to Google.org’s executive director, Larry Brilliant. As a result, there’s room for growth for companies that can find ways to foster productive intellectual exchange — and facilitate it for themselves.

Brilliant made his comments at the Web 2.0 Summit in San Francisco. In his view, The Well, an online community he founded back the public Internet dark ages of the 1980s, remains unparalleled as a forum for the sharing of new ideas because it doesn’t promote a linear, chronological conversation the way a blog does, but lets people drop in and add to the discussion already underway.

Neither the blogosphere nor Web 2.0 social networking services provide the kind of intellectual community that drives innovation, according to Google.org’s executive director, Larry Brilliant. As a result, there’s room for growth for companies that can find ways to foster productive intellectual exchange — and facilitate it for themselves.

Brilliant made his comments at the Web 2.0 Summit in San Francisco. In his view, The Well, an online community he founded back the public Internet dark ages of the 1980s, remains unparalleled as a forum for the sharing of new ideas because it doesn’t promote a linear, chronological conversation the way a blog does, but lets people drop in and add to the discussion already underway.

If the gentleman who was interviewed on BBC Radio 4's Today programme about the site a few days ago is the aforesaid Mr Brilliant, he also espoused the removal of all but those who passed a particular test from the internet. Sounds to me a bit like the early pronouncements of Oswald Mosley.

If the gentleman who was interviewed on BBC Radio 4's Today programme about the site a few days ago is the aforesaid Mr Brilliant, he also espoused the removal of all but those who passed a particular test from the internet. Sounds to me a bit like the early pronouncements of Oswald Mosley.

I poked around the website & so far it seems the sole test is whether you have a spare $120 a year to join the articulate unpretentious folks in The Well.

Further to that; I note there is a charge to be a member, not knowing how many members there are, but suspecting there are a fair few, someone is making a nice little income out of the prattlings of those members of the middle classes who think they are a cut above the rest.

someone is making a nice little income out of the prattlings of those members of the middle classes who think they are a cut above the rest.

unlike here, where we are prattling to no one's benefit.

Precisely.

For the longest time I avoided all these social networking sites, but I was recently asked to join someone's LinkedIn network and did. It's been kind of wild - within days I heard from a couple of people that I had lost touch with that were good friends at various points in my past.