Social networking on the web

For the longest time I avoided all these social networking sites, but I was recently asked to join someone's LinkedIn network and did. It's been kind of wild - within days I heard from a couple of people that I had lost touch with that were good friends at various points in my past.

I think everyone I've lost touch with wants to kill me.

Edited to make nonsense of mongo's joke.

• Replies 191
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

someone is making a nice little income out of the prattlings of those members of the middle classes who think they are a cut above the rest.

unlike here, where we are prattling to no one's benefit.

And I thought it was disinterested intellectualism.

• 1 month later...
The reason i asked: For Conversations, No Place Like The Well.

Neither the blogosphere nor Web 2.0 social networking services provide the kind of intellectual community that drives innovation, according to Google.org’s executive director, Larry Brilliant. As a result, there’s room for growth for companies that can find ways to foster productive intellectual exchange — and facilitate it for themselves.

Brilliant made his comments at the Web 2.0 Summit in San Francisco. In his view, The Well, an online community he founded back the public Internet dark ages of the 1980s, remains unparalleled as a forum for the sharing of new ideas because it doesn’t promote a linear, chronological conversation the way a blog does, but lets people drop in and add to the discussion already underway.

Inkwell: Authors and Artists: Bruce Sterling: State of the World, 2009

• 1 month later...

So I was sad to hear about Tillie's dramas on FB and someone posted a link to some settings that should be made on her wall. the most genius is Friends Lists. From the Friends tab, you create a Friends List. I have one of Foodies I've Never Met but Want to Network, my high school reunion gang and best of all, Actual Friends. You can then set the photo albums to be seen by whoever you want. And best of all, you can have that news feed (Sally is about to drink some water!) set to Actual Friends.

It's going to really change things for me.

And for those people who just want to network, I'll have their info at hand.

Thanks Rancho. This makes so much sense. I was just talking to MsRamsey and some others about this. I always feel like I am posting to a smaller group of people - who have the opportunity to meet me at the places I post in my updates. She lives in SF and I doubt she, or my friends from high school, or other friends who live out of the area cares what I am doing on a minute by minute basis.

That very interesting article alerted me to lots of stuff I could do, but I think it mainly reinforced my initial plan with regard to facebook: I only let people I've allowed to be facebook friends see my stuff, and I have no intention of becoming a facebook "friend" with anyone I'm not actually friends with or related to. No need to categorize people if you're not "friends" with non-friends.

I understand that for many people facebook is a valuable networking tool. For someone like me, who isn't building a business, I just keep it to people who I actually think might want to see pictures of my kids or hear about my latest rock climb or whatever. Tons of people I work with are on facebook, and I will be facebook friends with none of them. That way I don't have to worry about what they see.

That very interesting article alerted me to lots of stuff I could do, but I think it mainly reinforced my initial plan with regard to facebook: I only let people I've allowed to be facebook friends see my stuff, and I have no intention of becoming a facebook "friend" with anyone I'm not actually friends with or related to. No need to categorize people if you're not "friends" with non-friends.

I understand that for many people facebook is a valuable networking tool. For someone like me, who isn't building a business, I just keep it to people who I actually think might want to see pictures of my kids or hear about my latest rock climb or whatever. Tons of people I work with are on facebook, and I will be facebook friends with none of them. That way I don't have to worry about what they see.

Believe me, I tried. I even wrote that I was using FB for my friends and LinkedIn for networking and business but people are just too thick and I gave up. I normally ask if we've met and they write no, or once at the farmers market and they seem nice so what to do? This one guy asked to be my friend, we had no friends in common and when I asked if we had met he wrote back, "No." And that was that. I think some of them think it's a Rancho Gordo thing.

Oh well. I could have worse problems.