What I was observing, and I'm sure I'm not alone, was the difficulty faced by couples on dates, where the woman clearly didn't want to drink that way and wanted to move on.

So you go to White Star for drinks, and then to Zen Palate for dinner. Something for everybody.

A miserable experience.

guess that's how the girls felt at White Star? i know few women who are into serious booze sipping, esp. in their 20s.

now, shots might be a different story

but if they recreated Amsterdam's Wynand Fockink here, it would be a hit with both sexes i think:

Our tasting room holds one of the widest selections of liqueurs and jenevers in Amsterdam. Try our famous WF Superior, a three year old malt jenever, or Old Dutch liqueurs such as 'Bruidstranen' ('The Bride's Tears', a spiced wine served in the days leading up the wedding) or 'Hansje in de kelder'. Our house specialities, 'Half en Half' and 'Boswandeling' (The Secret of the Forest) have made Wynand Fockink world-famous. Inside our quaint tasting room you'll find a huge collection of antique, hand-painted storage bottles; with sand on the floor and none of today's noise from 'muzac' and gambling machines, you can close your eyes and slip back hundreds of years in time. Follow the 300-year-old tradition of stooping towards the bar to take a first sip of your drink and join the historical procession of Amsterdammers who have drunk in this age-old public house.

the half & half is marvelous. they can pour different liqueurs and jenevers into a tiny, tiny glass (no traditional shaking, stirring or anything of the sort) to come up with lovely combinations, some sweet enough that most girlie types might enjoy

• 1 month later...
Guest Aaron T

Post Corton, I made my way over to White Star to see for myself what the fuss was about. I couldn't figure out what to order so I settled on an Absinthe. The bartender offered me "the Swiss one". I believe they have 5 different kinds.

They pour the Absinthe in the glass then place it under a ewer with spouts and water is allowed to drip ever so slowly over a sugar cube into the drink. Then water is added and it is stirred and served. I realized pretty quickly that I don't like Absinthe. I had not had it before, certainly not without being part of a mixed drink, and didn't realize it tastes like anise or licorice. Yuck.

The bartender saw I didn't like it and removed it and didn't charge me for it. I asked what else I could get and he said he could do an Old Fashioned or a Sazerac. I had an Old Fashioned with a special bourbon. It was $15. Much better than the Absinthe! :lol:

I couldn't see returning. The whole concept was way too limiting. It was quiet on a Tuesday night at 11 pm. The bartender was Italian and Sasha had recruited him from London for a few month stint.

I have a feeling they will have to give in to making more drinks if they hope to stay in business.

I still don't get this place.

If the point of it is to offer the best and rarest in unmixed spirits, why would the bartender offer you the two cocktails they can make instead of pointing you to some spirit you might like more than absinthe? (I mean, if they're not going to have a spirits menu like any other place would.)

• 2 months later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 1 month later...

For what it's worth, TJ Siegal is directing the beverage program now, in between tending bar at some of the other Petraske-affiliated places. The new focus is supposed to be aperitif-based cocktails, with a slightly more serious wine list of something like a half-dozen wines by the glass. A little more distinct from M&H now, eh. Best of luck to them.