Jump to content

Depressing Stuff


Recommended Posts

When Ebinger's briefly revived, I bought a Blackout Cake for my mother, who used to love them -- and she couldn't remember what it was.

At the time, I attributed it to her getting old.  But now that I'm old, it seems strange to me.  Cuz the problem isn't remembering what happened 40 years ago.  It's remembering what happened 40 minutes ago.

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 minutes ago, Sneakeater said:

When Ebinger's briefly revived, I bought a Blackout Cake for my mother, who used to love them -- and she couldn't remember what it was.

At the time, I attributed it to her getting old.  But now that I'm old, it seems strange to me.  Cuz the problem isn't remembering what happened 40 years ago.  It's remembering what happened 40 minutes ago.

I barely remember what we were talking about

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Let's review the bidding.

Since I decided to move to Ridgewood:  (a) my stored wine migrated from Ridgewood to Westchester County, and (b) Morscher's announced it was closing.

Do we think the universe is trying to tell me something?

Edited by Sneakeater
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Sneakeater said:

Let's review the bidding.

Since I decided to move to Ridgewood:  (a) my stored wine migrated from Ridgewood to Westchester County, and (b) Morscher's announced it was closing.

Do we think the universe is trying to tell me something?

Maybe move to Westchester? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I stumbled over an outstanding (and heartbreaking) report on the Morscher's closing by Roger Clark on New York 1. Behind the scenes sausage making, interviews with long time (40 year) customers and quite a few tears shed.

I am sure it will be shown repeatedly for the next couple of days, but who knows when?

  • Sad 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...

I do occasionally discard a book. Admittedly, usually because it's a duplicate copy. I rarely say goodbye to a collection. I finally convinced myself that a couple of shelves of travel guides, many 20 to 30 years old, can go. Obviously they can't be relied on for anything other than things like where the Grand Canyon is or how far Madrid is from Sevilla.

I confess I clawed back a few for sentimental reasons, or because they provide readable trips down memory lane. For example, the Gault&Millau guide published just before I moved to New York has great reading on restaurants that are no longer with us. Inside Soho (London, that is) reminds me of my years living there. A 1995 London nightlife guide depicts a vanished scene. I have a Bristol pub guide from my student days.

I am also keeping just three print Zagats (New York, London and Paris) as a reminder of different days.

I can imagine buying a new travel book if I was visiting a country for the first time. But online research is now obviously superior for restaurants and bars; even more so for places like galleries where exhibits change.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 hours ago, Wilfrid said:

I finally convinced myself that a couple of shelves of travel guides, many 20 to 30 years old

I haver a number of these as well, and I think I should do the same.  Some of them literally have had specific pages removed, as rather than schlepping the whole book I would take out a section for say, a guided walk. And then shove that section back into the book when we'd get home.  So not only are they old and outdated (and as you say, I know where the Coliseum is), but they're falling apart.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 minutes ago, MitchW said:

Some of them literally have had specific pages removed, as rather than schlepping the whole book I would take out a section for say, a guided walk. And then shove that section back into the book when we'd get home.  

I see you've found my 1985 edition of Let's Go Europe.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Wilfrid said:

Good point. Who uses printed maps any more? 

Me. After one super-fun time trying to find the Chautauqua Institution while driving through the vast cell-phone-signal-free zone that is Western New York.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...