Mexican Independence Day

Isn't it time Texas was returned to it's rightful owners?

That gets problematic as Texas has been under 6 flags, including its own.

Besides, at this point, who would want it? Excepting Austin, of course.

Isn't it time Texas was returned to it's rightful owners?

That gets problematic as Texas has been under 6 flags, including its own.

Besides, at this point, who would want it? Excepting Austin, of course.

Well, it does have its own power grid, but I hear ya.

VIVA MEXICO! QUE VIVA!

Cristina I'm very saddened & troubled by the events of last night and hope you are ok. For those who haven't heard, two grenades were thrown into the crowd in the main Plaza of Morelia, apparently at the moment of the Grito, killing about 10 people and injuring about 100. What troubling times.

VIVA MEXICO! QUE VIVA!

Cristina I'm very saddened & troubled by the events of last night and hope you are ok. For those who haven't heard, two grenades were thrown into the crowd in the main Plaza of Morelia, apparently at the moment of the Grito, killing about 10 people and injuring about 100. What troubling times.

That's so wrong.

VIVA MEXICO! QUE VIVA!

That's so wrong.

*sigh*

Yes, it's so wrong. And it's so sad, and so infuriating, and so disheartening. Judy and I were supposed to have been downtown for the Grito, but at the last minute we couldn't go. We can see the Cathedral from our upstairs windows; we simultaneously watched the governor give the Grito (Viva Mexico! Viva Hidalgo! Viva Morelos! Viva La Corregidora! Viva! Viva! Que viva!), ring the freedom bell, and wave the flag on TV and watched the fireworks explode over the towers of the Cathedral. It was beautiful and very emotional, as always.

And then we heard the huge BOOM that we later learned was the explosion of the first fragmentation grenade. Of course we thought it was more fireworks, because we couldn't see activity in the plaza to the side of the Cathedral--that's too close to the ground to see from our windows. A few moments later there was another grenade, exploded a just few blocks from the first.

We wondered at the time why the governor was more or less hustled off the balcony where he gives the Grito. Now we know.

The death toll stands at seven, with 101 injured. Many of the wounded suffered horrendous injuries, like amputated limbs.

The city is subdued, sad, and angry. Many vendors at our regular Wednesday tianguis were absent today: were they on vacation, were they or their family members among the victims? Every vacant space brought a question.

Today in Mexico, the bad guys are winning.

*sigh*