Congratulations Monkeymay!

Even more FAME for The ND and Monkeymay

BTW- the rather stunning woman twoards the end who says "try it it's really good" is, Sybil, the woman I am trying to figure out how to spend the rest of my life with :)

Okay Slapsie, you've confused me... looks like one stunning woman says "try it" and another stunning woman says "it's really good"!

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

BTW- the rather stunning woman towards the end who says "try it it's really good" is, Sybil, the woman I am trying to figure out how to spend the rest of my life with :)

Okay Slapsie, you've confused me... looks like one stunning woman says "try it" and another stunning woman says "it's really good"!

I can't believe the reporter wouldn't try the donut. Pourquoi pas?

BTW- the rather stunning woman twoards the end who says "try it it's really good" is, Sybil, the woman I am trying to figure out how to spend the rest of my life with :)

Slapsie

You neglected to mention that besides being stunning she has a wonderfully generous and vivacious personality.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Aaron T

After a large dim sum meal in the SGV, I stopped by the Nickel Diner on my way back to Santa Monica. I had planned to just say hi, but couldn't resist getting some food too. I had a small bowl of "Monica's chicken pozole" and an order of breakfast potatoes. I ordered the soup because of the name. It was as good as you would expect - Monica doesn't put her name on just any dish. Chunks of chicken and good broth and lots of hominy. The potatoes were good/fine - standard. Nice ambiance - it was strange to see it complete after having walked though it with Abby & Scamhi a year ago when there were still creepy clowns on the walls.

There was a decent crowd for Saturday brunch - about 80% full the whole time I was there, which I think a positive sign.

Los Angeles Magazine included the Nickel in their listings of downtown restaurants, as one of only 5, the others of which included Patina, Ciudad etc.

In a rave, Jonathan Gold included the Nickel as of one of his 99 essential LA Restaurants - Single Page version here

So glad for all this PR.... and they don't even have a publicist!

• 2 weeks later...
According to the interwebs, the Nickel is going to do a beta test of dinner. I hope it works!

Eater LA on Monkey May's latest plan

Thanks Aaron.

Yes, we are trying to open for dinner, although it's not our neighbors we're concerned with but the people who are concerned about our neighbors that have lots to say about us opening later.

You can read the comments here.

We have become this lightining rod for gentrification vs. skid row, with an unhealthly dash of racism thrown in for good measure.

It's a little unnerving.

We're just trying to feed the neighborhood, make a little money and show people a good time. This shit is wild.

Guest Aaron T
Nice ambiance - it was strange to see it complete after having walked though it with Abby & Scamhi a year ago when there were still creepy clowns on the walls.

Wait. Did I go to L.A. and totally forget about it?

Yes. :ph43r:

Nice ambiance - it was strange to see it complete after having walked though it with Abby & Scamhi a year ago when there were still creepy clowns on the walls.

If I hung out with monkeymay, the blackout makes sense.

If I hung out with monkeymay, the blackout makes sense.

Good sense.

• 3 months later...